It is currently Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum rules

Please see forum announcement for description and rules!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:26 pm 

I've tried sampling but I just couldn't get the right tone and clarity that I want to hear. It just sounds fake for me. I know how to play flute so I'm planning to just record the the track on my own. Any suggestion on how to best do it? Like the distance of the mic and how the room should be?

Thank you all in advance! :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:39 am 

I mostly record harmonica, some ukulele, occasionally whistle for various forums, & what I use is a Samson USB mic plugged into my computer, on which I use Audacity software, & nearly always have the mic 12"~18" away from me & whichever instrument I'm using.

Regarding the room you use, normally it wants to have soft furnishings, I use my bedroom, if you use the bathroom, you will get a kind of reverb sound.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:56 am 

the advice i've heard, and that works well for me, is that the mic should be placed fairly close to the flute (say about 1-2ft away, or the same distance you'd use for micing string instruments), aimed roughly at the embouchure hole or maybe a bit further down the flute, and positioned above the player pointing down, so that the player isn't breathing on it. with a cardioid microphone, that will get the sound of the flute and not much else, which sounds like what you want.

if you want a more natural recording with more of the room sound (and natural reverb), you can use two microphones in a stereo setup (M/S, X/Y, OTRF, ...) positioned a bit further away. stereo recording is a bit more involved, but not actually that difficult; there's loads of guides on how to do it around the internet.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:59 pm 

I have found closer is better 3" or so but be sure your embouchure is not blowing into the mic. If you are further away you can pic up key and finger sounds. That's my experience. I can send you a link to some of my recordings if it helps.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:22 am 

As far as position in relationship to the mic, you might try what these two lads do:
They seem to have had some relative success.

dave boling

And I got Sidney's leg.
-- Douglas Adams

'Bundinn er bátlaus maðu'.