It is currently Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum rules

Please see forum announcement for description and rules!

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 1:02 pm 

hello folks.

I suppose this has been covered a bit, but I thought I'd share some mic background for flute and other use mics which really do sound rather stunning.

I leave this post open for anyone to suggest other mic makes and models and techniques as it's always a good help for studio and live ideas for newcomers or those who fancy a bit of creative work.

I've been a fan of Aston mics for some time now and have to say that their range of mics really do cut the mustard, from the starlight which is a light, compact mic with a very flexible sound palett through to the spirit and origin which are more bulky studio mics, the spirit is a more adaptable studio mic and really does pack some punch for the money. Over the last couple of years, I've used these with a zoom H6 recorder on locations including some rather nice old churches, etc.

I've never worked with clip mics, so my experience isn't there, but from a stand based mic, either close or distant mic work, the above are great mics for the money. See what you think.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 3:56 am 

Leaving lurking mode...

My favourite mic for flute is the Sennheiser MD 441. Used Rode NT1A (cheap) and Horch RM3 (ridiculously expensive) in studios before, both nice, but I still prefer the 441 which I use for studio work and playing live these days. It sounds less hissy than most condensers to me (and looks damn cool). Before that, I used an Audix lavalier with a selfmade clip for a few years, but that thing let me down on a recent tour for no particular reason, just stopped working - and so I decided to switch back to good ol' Sennheiser.

Entering lurking mode again...

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 10:49 am 

thefolkie2018 wrote:
I've been a fan of Aston mics for some time now and have to say that their range of mics really do cut the mustard, from the starlight which is a light, compact mic with a very flexible sound palett through to the spirit and origin which are more bulky studio mics, the spirit is a more adaptable studio mic and really does pack some punch for the money. Over the last couple of years, I've used these with a zoom H6 recorder on locations including some rather nice old churches, etc.

Which Aston Mics are you using? I've considered buying a Zoom H6 for recording flute, but haven't gotten around to it. I was thinking of buying one and maybe an SM57 (I just haven't gotten around to buying anything).

Gabriel wrote:

My favourite mic for flute is the Sennheiser MD 441. Used Rode NT1A (cheap) and Horch RM3 (ridiculously expensive) in studios before, both nice, but I still prefer the 441 which I use for studio work and playing live these days. It sounds less hissy than most condensers to me (and looks damn cool). Before that, I used an Audix lavalier with a selfmade clip for a few years, but that thing let me down on a recent tour for no particular reason, just stopped working - and so I decided to switch back to good ol' Sennheiser.

Thanks for that information. It is good to know. I haven't actually looked much at Sennheiser mics.

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 7:46 am 

Nothing beats ribbon mics for recording flutes. They are the most natural sounding, and take away a lot of the hissiness that a condenser mic emphasizes. Many brands out there these days, and very few bad sounding ones. They are much more delicate, so you have to take care of them, but it's well worth the effort. I have one made by Cloud, and I've been wanting to get a stereo ribbon too.