To all irish speakers, I need a short translation

Tá Failte Romhat! For all conversation about the Irish language. Scots Gaelic discussion welcome.
Forum rules
The purpose of this forum is to provide a place for people who are interested in the Irish language and various Celtic languages to discuss them, to practice them, and to share information about them, particularly (but not exclusively) in the context of traditional music and culture.

This is not a "translation forum," per se, though translation requests may occasionally be honored at the discretion of the moderators. If you're seeking a one-time translation for something like a tattoo, engraving, wedding vow, or other such purpose, we strongly recommend that you visit our friends at ILF: http://irishlearner.awyr.com
Post Reply
Matt_Celta
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:16 am
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Interested in flute playing and uilleann piping. Mainly irish traditional music, but also european folk, classical and early music. Looking for music to play on the simple system flute.
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Contact:

To all irish speakers, I need a short translation

Post by Matt_Celta »

Hi everyone! This is the first time I ever post here in this irish language forum. I've read the rules and understand this is not a translation forum. However, since I have this short piece of audio and cannot even put it in words, I really need help.
Back in 2004 I've visited Ireland with my fellow band members and while playing in a pub, a reporter from the RTE interviewed us. In the audio the reporter says something I would really like to understand. Is there anyone who could help me, please?
Thanks!!

Here's the clip: https://mega.co.nz/#!8QwmQZjJ!IWImLN2rM ... E-FNRdP87M
Bríd Eilís
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:38 pm
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: To all irish speakers, I need a short translation

Post by Bríd Eilís »

I can't access the file.

Go to Irish Language Forum, they do translations and this type of work.
www.irishlanguageforum.com

And put it on a proper file sharing site like Box.net.
User avatar
MTGuru
Posts: 18663
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:45 pm
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Location: San Diego, CA

Re: To all irish speakers, I need a short translation

Post by MTGuru »

Bríd Eilís wrote:And put it on a proper file sharing site like Box.net.

It seems like a "proper" enough site to me. I can access the file (mp3 clip) just fine. And as Moderator, I would have noted if that weren't the case. :wink:

Too bad you can't, as it sounds like you'd be able to help.

Yes, we also recommend ILF in our rules announcement up top. In this case, since the request is music-related and not for a tattoo or the like, and since Matt is a regular Chiffboard member, there's no reason not to accommodate his request here as well (though, admittedly, the response has been less than overwhelming).
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Matt_Celta
Posts: 48
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:16 am
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Interested in flute playing and uilleann piping. Mainly irish traditional music, but also european folk, classical and early music. Looking for music to play on the simple system flute.
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Contact:

Re: To all irish speakers, I need a short translation

Post by Matt_Celta »

MTGuru wrote:
Bríd Eilís wrote:And put it on a proper file sharing site like Box.net.

It seems like a "proper" enough site to me. I can access the file (mp3 clip) just fine. And as Moderator, I would have noted if that weren't the case. :wink:

Too bad you can't, as it sounds like you'd be able to help.

Yes, we also recommend ILF in our rules announcement up top. In this case, since the request is music-related and not for a tattoo or the like, and since Matt is a regular Chiffboard member, there's no reason not to accommodate his request here as well (though, admittedly, the response has been less than overwhelming).


Thanks MTGuru! I've read the rules and understand this is not a translating request forum but since it was just a line and I didn't know any other sites, and since I know this forum for quite a long time, I thought I'd give it a try. I didn't want to be overwhelming. I just asked for this because it was music related, as you said, and a very short audio track indeed. If this is not appropiate either, maybe you should ban every translation request.

Thanks for accommodating my request, again, MTGuru! :D
User avatar
nohoval_turrets
Posts: 105
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:42 am
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Location: Ireland

Re: To all irish speakers, I need a short translation

Post by nohoval_turrets »

That site is asking me for a decryption key? I'm sure I can translate for you if I could hear it.
User avatar
nohoval_turrets
Posts: 105
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:42 am
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Location: Ireland

Re: To all irish speakers, I need a short translation

Post by nohoval_turrets »

OK, I can hear it now.

She says

"Anseo sa ??? beidh píosa ceoil againn. Seo againn na Fianna agus casaidh siad rogha port chugann"

The bit I can't hear sounds like "Le Dame de Bellini", which I take it is the name of the venue (or something like it anyway!)

Anyway, what she's saying is "Here in ??? we'll have a bit of music. Here are na Fianna, and they're going to play a selection of jigs."

Not terribly exciting I'm afraid!
User avatar
Redwolf
Posts: 6051
Joined: Tue May 28, 2002 6:00 pm
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: Somewhere in the Western Hemisphere

Re: To all irish speakers, I need a short translation

Post by Redwolf »

nohoval_turrets wrote:OK, I can hear it now.

She says

"Anseo sa ??? beidh píosa ceoil againn. Seo againn na Fianna agus casaidh siad rogha port chugann"

The bit I can't hear sounds like "Le Dame de Bellini", which I take it is the name of the venue (or something like it anyway!)

Anyway, what she's saying is "Here in ??? we'll have a bit of music. Here are na Fianna, and they're going to play a selection of jigs."

Not terribly exciting I'm afraid!
I'm getting the same. Just to add, "port" does mean "jig," but it can also be used for "tunes" in general.

But yeah...it's basically just the presenter introducing the set.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
User avatar
nohoval_turrets
Posts: 105
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:42 am
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Location: Ireland

Re: To all irish speakers, I need a short translation

Post by nohoval_turrets »

Any thoughts on the ??? La Dame de Bellini ??? part? It's driving me nuts. I assume it's the name of a venue, but it's driving me nuts!
Post Reply