Irish class starting up in Capitola, CA, USA

Tá Failte Romhat! For all conversation about the Irish language. Scots Gaelic discussion welcome.
Forum rules
The purpose of this forum is to provide a place for people who are interested in the Irish language and various Celtic languages to discuss them, to practice them, and to share information about them, particularly (but not exclusively) in the context of traditional music and culture.

This is not a "translation forum," per se, though translation requests may occasionally be honored at the discretion of the moderators. If you're seeking a one-time translation for something like a tattoo, engraving, wedding vow, or other such purpose, we strongly recommend that you visit our friends at ILF: http://irishlearner.awyr.com
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Irish class starting up in Capitola, CA, USA

Post by Redwolf »

Hey all! I'm going to be offering a new Irish language class in September!

The class is being offered through the Capitola, CA, Recreation Department and will take place on Monday evenings (9/8 - 10/13) from 7:15 - 8:30 at the Capitola Community Center, 4400 Jade St., in Capitola. The cost for the six-week course is $84 for Capitola residents and $98 for non-residents. There's also a $10 materials fee, payable at the first class, to cover printing and copying.

The name of the class is "Irish Gaelic for Beginners and Travelers." While it's themed for people who may be planning (or dreaming of) a trip to Ireland, it will also be a good class for people who want a basic introduction to the structure, grammar, and pronunciation of Irish, or for people who have had some Irish and want to brush up a bit.

Here's the full course description from the Capitola Rec Early Fall Catalog:

"Whether you’re planning a trip to Ireland or
simply want to get in touch with your Irish roots,
this beginner-level class is for you! We’ll explore
the basics of Ireland’s first official language (An
Ghaeilge, or Irish Gaelic) in a fun and interactive
way, with an emphasis on topics of interest to the
traveler, including: 'Irish place names and how
they got that way (“Kill” what? “Bally” who?);'
'A look at Irish surnames (“Who is this ‘Mac’
guy anyway?”);' and 'How the Irish language has
influenced Hiberno English (“Why do they talk
that way?”)' We’ll also take a look at the structure,
pronunciation, and grammar of the language, using
role play (with an emphasis on day-to-day speech,
such as basic greetings, ordering in a restaurant,
etc.), stories, games, and song."

If you're interested, you can sign up via the Cap Rec homepage:

http://www.cityofcapitola.org/recreation

You can also contact me at audrey underscore nickel at yahoo dot com if you have questions about the class.

Please share this information with others you think may be interested!

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Irish class starting up in Capitola, CA, USA

Post by Redwolf »

A friend was able to convert my flier for the class to a photo file. Hope this is legible!

I plan to reprise this class during Cap Rec's Late Fall session (beginning 10/20) as well. I also plan to offer a "Singing in Irish" class during the Late Fall session, as well as a three-week "Irish Christmas Songs" workshop. Stay tuned for more details!

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!