It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Forum rules


The purpose of this forum is to provide a place for people who are interested in the Irish language and various Celtic languages to discuss them, to practice them, and to share information about them, particularly (but not exclusively) in the context of traditional music and culture.

This is not a "translation forum," per se, though translation requests may occasionally be honored at the discretion of the moderators. If you're seeking a one-time translation for something like a tattoo, engraving, wedding vow, or other such purpose, we strongly recommend that you visit our friends at ILF: http://irishlearner.awyr.com



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Author Message
 
PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:46 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:16 am
Posts: 48
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
Hi everyone! This is the first time I ever post here in this irish language forum. I've read the rules and understand this is not a translation forum. However, since I have this short piece of audio and cannot even put it in words, I really need help.
Back in 2004 I've visited Ireland with my fellow band members and while playing in a pub, a reporter from the RTE interviewed us. In the audio the reporter says something I would really like to understand. Is there anyone who could help me, please?
Thanks!!

Here's the clip: https://mega.co.nz/#!8QwmQZjJ!IWImLN2rM ... E-FNRdP87M


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 1:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:38 pm
Posts: 7
I can't access the file.

Go to Irish Language Forum, they do translations and this type of work.
www.irishlanguageforum.com

And put it on a proper file sharing site like Box.net.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 2:03 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:45 pm
Posts: 18663
Location: San Diego, CA
Bríd Eilís wrote:
And put it on a proper file sharing site like Box.net.

It seems like a "proper" enough site to me. I can access the file (mp3 clip) just fine. And as Moderator, I would have noted if that weren't the case. :wink:

Too bad you can't, as it sounds like you'd be able to help.

Yes, we also recommend ILF in our rules announcement up top. In this case, since the request is music-related and not for a tattoo or the like, and since Matt is a regular Chiffboard member, there's no reason not to accommodate his request here as well (though, admittedly, the response has been less than overwhelming).

_________________
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 6:59 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:16 am
Posts: 48
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
MTGuru wrote:
Bríd Eilís wrote:
And put it on a proper file sharing site like Box.net.

It seems like a "proper" enough site to me. I can access the file (mp3 clip) just fine. And as Moderator, I would have noted if that weren't the case. :wink:

Too bad you can't, as it sounds like you'd be able to help.

Yes, we also recommend ILF in our rules announcement up top. In this case, since the request is music-related and not for a tattoo or the like, and since Matt is a regular Chiffboard member, there's no reason not to accommodate his request here as well (though, admittedly, the response has been less than overwhelming).


Thanks MTGuru! I've read the rules and understand this is not a translating request forum but since it was just a line and I didn't know any other sites, and since I know this forum for quite a long time, I thought I'd give it a try. I didn't want to be overwhelming. I just asked for this because it was music related, as you said, and a very short audio track indeed. If this is not appropiate either, maybe you should ban every translation request.

Thanks for accommodating my request, again, MTGuru! :D


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 9:57 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:42 am
Posts: 102
Location: Ireland
That site is asking me for a decryption key? I'm sure I can translate for you if I could hear it.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 10:08 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:42 am
Posts: 102
Location: Ireland
OK, I can hear it now.

She says

"Anseo sa ??? beidh píosa ceoil againn. Seo againn na Fianna agus casaidh siad rogha port chugann"

The bit I can't hear sounds like "Le Dame de Bellini", which I take it is the name of the venue (or something like it anyway!)

Anyway, what she's saying is "Here in ??? we'll have a bit of music. Here are na Fianna, and they're going to play a selection of jigs."

Not terribly exciting I'm afraid!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:04 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Tue May 28, 2002 6:00 pm
Posts: 6051
Location: Somewhere in the Western Hemisphere
nohoval_turrets wrote:
OK, I can hear it now.

She says

"Anseo sa ??? beidh píosa ceoil againn. Seo againn na Fianna agus casaidh siad rogha port chugann"

The bit I can't hear sounds like "Le Dame de Bellini", which I take it is the name of the venue (or something like it anyway!)

Anyway, what she's saying is "Here in ??? we'll have a bit of music. Here are na Fianna, and they're going to play a selection of jigs."

Not terribly exciting I'm afraid!


I'm getting the same. Just to add, "port" does mean "jig," but it can also be used for "tunes" in general.

But yeah...it's basically just the presenter introducing the set.

Redwolf

_________________
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
 
PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:07 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 10:42 am
Posts: 102
Location: Ireland
Any thoughts on the ??? La Dame de Bellini ??? part? It's driving me nuts. I assume it's the name of a venue, but it's driving me nuts!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 6 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
[ Time : 0.162s | 13 Queries | GZIP : On ]
(dh)