Focail an Lae

Tá Failte Romhat! For all conversation about the Irish language. Scots Gaelic discussion welcome.
Forum rules
The purpose of this forum is to provide a place for people who are interested in the Irish language and various Celtic languages to discuss them, to practice them, and to share information about them, particularly (but not exclusively) in the context of traditional music and culture.

This is not a "translation forum," per se, though translation requests may occasionally be honored at the discretion of the moderators. If you're seeking a one-time translation for something like a tattoo, engraving, wedding vow, or other such purpose, we strongly recommend that you visit our friends at ILF: http://irishlearner.awyr.com
Uill Wind
antispam: No

Focail an Lae

Post by Uill Wind »

Niúdaimí Neádaimi a dainty person

Uill Wind

Re: Focail an Lae

Post by Uill Wind »

Is there any interest here in people posting words and phrases that grab them in Irish. I love the words for describing people. gives you a great insight into the language and culture. Like the descriptions in the Dineen dictionary. You can read a lot into what was going on at the time . Tá súil agam go mbeidh suim ag daoine.

e.g. Lánúin, meaning couple. I understand comes from the observation that lovers tend to follow each other around and hang out together (lean- to follow)

I enjoy these sorts of things and will post some here from time to time for my own amusement if nothing else. if you have any?...
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Uill Wind wrote:Is there any interest here in people posting words and phrases that grab them in Irish. I love the words for describing people. gives you a great insight into the language and culture. Like the descriptions in the Dineen dictionary. You can read a lot into what was going on at the time . Tá súil agam go mbeidh suim ag daoine.

e.g. Lánúin, meaning couple. I understand comes from the observation that lovers tend to follow each other around and hang out together (lean- to follow)

I enjoy these sorts of things and will post some here from time to time for my own amusement if nothing else. if you have any?...
I enjoy such things as well.

I'd question the idea that "lánúin" comes from "lean," however, given the very different pronunciation of "lean" and "lán." It would make more sense that it comes from "lán" (full).

Or perhaps the person was thinking of "leannán" (lover).

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

I love some of the terms for describing creatures as well:

Bóín Dé (God's Little Cow): Ladybug/Ladybird

Dámhán Alla (Little Wild Ox): Spider

And my all-time favorite:

Smugaile Róin (Seal Snot): Jellyfish

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!