Irish pronunciation

Tá Failte Romhat! For all conversation about the Irish language. Scots Gaelic discussion welcome.
Forum rules
The purpose of this forum is to provide a place for people who are interested in the Irish language and various Celtic languages to discuss them, to practice them, and to share information about them, particularly (but not exclusively) in the context of traditional music and culture.

This is not a "translation forum," per se, though translation requests may occasionally be honored at the discretion of the moderators. If you're seeking a one-time translation for something like a tattoo, engraving, wedding vow, or other such purpose, we strongly recommend that you visit our friends at ILF: http://irishlearner.awyr.com
johnkennedy15
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Irish pronunciation

Post by johnkennedy15 »

How should I pronounce 'Muiredaig', the name of the clan that later became the O'Tooles. And am I right to pronounce Ui Dunlainge as O'Doolan? Many thanks in advance.
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Irish pronunciation

Post by Redwolf »

johnkennedy15 wrote:How should I pronounce 'Muiredaig', the name of the clan that later became the O'Tooles. And am I right to pronounce Ui Dunlainge as O'Doolan? Many thanks in advance.
The first word isn't Irish, as far as I can tell. The correct Irish form of the name that was Anglicized as "O'Toole" is Ó Tuathail.

Irish surnames are patronymics. They don't have "clans" in the Scottish sense.

The Irish form of the name Anglicized as "Doolan/O'Doolan" is Ó Dúlainn (pronounced "Oh DOO-len"). The genitive form of that, which would be used for women who married into the family, or in possessive situations, is Uí Dhúlainn, pronounced "ee GGOO-len."

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!