Translation help would be appreciated

Tá Failte Romhat! For all conversation about the Irish language. Scots Gaelic discussion welcome.
Forum rules
The purpose of this forum is to provide a place for people who are interested in the Irish language and various Celtic languages to discuss them, to practice them, and to share information about them, particularly (but not exclusively) in the context of traditional music and culture.

This is not a "translation forum," per se, though translation requests may occasionally be honored at the discretion of the moderators. If you're seeking a one-time translation for something like a tattoo, engraving, wedding vow, or other such purpose, we strongly recommend that you visit our friends at ILF: http://irishlearner.awyr.com
jmarshelmc
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Translation help would be appreciated

Post by jmarshelmc »

I'm interested in learning the most accurate translation of the phrase "my living example" whereas the "example" is a living being whom I possess in some meaning of the word. It has a romantic meaning if that helps with context (i.e. "She's my living example of perfection/love/beauty/what-have-you).

I've noticed through a few online translators that capitalization apparently changes the translation significantly, though I suspect this may be an error?

These are a few of the translations I have received. Are any more appropriate or are there misnomers?

"Mo Sampla maireachtála"
"Mar shampla mo chónaí"
"Mo shampla ina gcónaí"

Again, any help at all would be greatly appreciated.
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Translation help would be appreciated

Post by Redwolf »

I'm sorry, but we don't do drop-in translations at this site.

I notice you've also asked this at IGTF. Here's a link to your post there:

http://www.irishgaelictranslator.com/tr ... 04980.html

FWIF, don't use automatic translators for something like this. They're semi-useful for getting the gist of something written in a language you don't understand, but they're useless for this kind of thing, and generate grammatical sh*t more often than not. That's definitely the case for what you have there. Respectively, they translate to:

My sample of living (as in "my sample of the job you do in order to make money," not "life")

My sample of my dwelling

My sample he dwells

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
jmarshelmc
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Re: Translation help would be appreciated

Post by jmarshelmc »

Thanks for the help, just casting a wide net