Guidance on pronunciation of an air

Tá Failte Romhat! For all conversation about the Irish language. Scots Gaelic discussion welcome.
Forum rules
The purpose of this forum is to provide a place for people who are interested in the Irish language and various Celtic languages to discuss them, to practice them, and to share information about them, particularly (but not exclusively) in the context of traditional music and culture.

This is not a "translation forum," per se, though translation requests may occasionally be honored at the discretion of the moderators. If you're seeking a one-time translation for something like a tattoo, engraving, wedding vow, or other such purpose, we strongly recommend that you visit our friends at ILF: http://irishlearner.awyr.com
straycat82
antispam: No

Guidance on pronunciation of an air

Post by straycat82 »

I hope you won't mind helping me with pronunciation on this title. This is currently one of my favorite slow airs played on the pipes and I'd like to not butcher it too badly when I call it by name:

Port na bPúcaí

It's the last word that I'm unsure about. I was thinking that it might be (phonetically) "Port na Bookee" (as in blue key)?
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Guidance on pronunciation of an air

Post by Redwolf »

straycat82 wrote:I hope you won't mind helping me with pronunciation on this title. This is currently one of my favorite slow airs played on the pipes and I'd like to not butcher it too badly when I call it by name:

Port na bPúcaí

It's the last word that I'm unsure about. I was thinking that it might be (phonetically) "Port na Bookee" (as in blue key)?
No prob!

You've got it pretty well there! Port (as in what you drink) nuh BOO-kee (where the "oo" is like in "book" or "look"...not as in "poo").

The main thing is to remember that the "na" is pronounced "nuh," not "naw." The most common mistake I hear non-Irish speakers make is over-broadening vowel sounds.

If you want to hear it said (albeit with a Gaoth Dobhair accent), you can plug it in here:

http://www.abair.tcd.ie/index.php?page= ... s&lang=eng

It works better with individual words than with entire phrases.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
straycat82

Re: Guidance on pronunciation of an air

Post by straycat82 »

Thanks very much!