Schism?

Tá Failte Romhat! For all conversation about the Irish language. Scots Gaelic discussion welcome.
Forum rules
The purpose of this forum is to provide a place for people who are interested in the Irish language and various Celtic languages to discuss them, to practice them, and to share information about them, particularly (but not exclusively) in the context of traditional music and culture.

This is not a "translation forum," per se, though translation requests may occasionally be honored at the discretion of the moderators. If you're seeking a one-time translation for something like a tattoo, engraving, wedding vow, or other such purpose, we strongly recommend that you visit our friends at ILF: http://irishlearner.awyr.com
Mr.Gumby
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Schism?

Post by Mr.Gumby »

There was a thing going earlier this year about how modern urban Irish speakers and the Gaeltacht crowd are finding it increasingly difficult to understand eachother. Is the language splitting up somewhere in the middle?

Irish Times article
My brain hurts

Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Schism?

Post by Redwolf »

Mr.Gumby wrote:There was a thing going earlier this year about how modern urban Irish speakers and the Gaeltacht crowd are finding it increasingly difficult to understand eachother. Is the language splitting up somewhere in the middle?

Irish Times article
This has been discussed quite a lot on IGTF, as you can imagine.

My take is that the language will tend more and more toward urban Irish, as that's where speakers are concentrated these days. I don't necessarily see that as a bad thing either...if the language is to survive, it needs to move forward...not remain enshrined in the Gaeltacht.

I suspect that rural speakers will find their speech gradually tending this way as well...even if they don't like to speak to people from the cities, TG4 and the gaelscoileanna are likely to move their children's speech in the urban direction.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!