Typing accent marks

Tá Failte Romhat! For all conversation about the Irish language. Scots Gaelic discussion welcome.
Forum rules
The purpose of this forum is to provide a place for people who are interested in the Irish language and various Celtic languages to discuss them, to practice them, and to share information about them, particularly (but not exclusively) in the context of traditional music and culture.

This is not a "translation forum," per se, though translation requests may occasionally be honored at the discretion of the moderators. If you're seeking a one-time translation for something like a tattoo, engraving, wedding vow, or other such purpose, we strongly recommend that you visit our friends at ILF: http://irishlearner.awyr.com
pipersgrip
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Typing accent marks

Post by pipersgrip »

I know they aren't called accent marks for the Gaelige language, I actually forgot what the instructor called them, but I was wondering how to type them on the computer. I can't type Gaelige properly because I don't know how to add those marks. :puppyeyes: Can anyone help me on how to do it? I would appreciate that.

Slan,
Jon
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Typing accent marks

Post by Redwolf »

The Whistle Collector wrote:I know they aren't called accent marks for the Gaelige language, I actually forgot what the instructor called them, but I was wondering how to type them on the computer. I can't type Gaelige properly because I don't know how to add those marks. :puppyeyes: Can anyone help me on how to do it? I would appreciate that.

Slan,
Jon
There are a couple of ways to do it, depending on your computer.

One option is to change your keyboard preference to "Ireland -- Irish." That will turn your right "ALT" key into what is, on European keyboards, the "ALT GR" key. Once you've done that, all you have to do is hold down that key while typing the vowel you want accented.

Doing that will change some other things around as well, though, so it it's a shared computer, or if that seems inconvenient to you, you can use ALT codes instead. To use an ALT code, you hold down either ALT key while typing a series of numbers on the number pad on the right-hand side of your computer (not the numbers across the top of the keyboard). Make sure your NUM LOCK is set to "on," then use the following codes:

ALT 0225 = á
ALT 0233 = é
ALT 0237 = í
ALT 0243 = ó
ALT 0250 = ú

ALT 0193 = Á
ALT 0201 = É
ALT 0205 = Í
ALT 0211 = Ó
ALT 0218 = Ú

ALT codes may seem fussy, but once you get used to them, you just touch type them without even thinking about it.

BTW, for those of you who are learning Scottish Gaelic, the ALT codes for those accents are one less than for the Irish accents. So, ALT 0224 = à, ALT 0232 = è, etc.

I don't know what the accents are called in Scottish Gaelic, but in Irish the technical name is "síneadh fada" (long accent), or just "fada" for short. Most folks just say "fada."

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
pipersgrip

Post by pipersgrip »

That's it, fada.

Gabhaim buíochas Redwolf.

I hope I used that in the correct way. Thanks for that.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Redwolf wrote:in Irish the technical name is "sineadh fada"
Isn't it síneadh fada? :wink:
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

FWIW, my favorite Windows keyboard solution has long been the US International layout, since the time when I was heavily involved in internationalization and localization issues (though not Irish specifically).

In this layout, the single-quote (tick) and back-quote (backtick) keys become dead keys for acute (fada) and grave accents, respectively. Other Latin diacritics (circumflex, umlaut, cedilla, tilde) are similarly available. Otherwise, the standard US English keyboard is unchanged, so the learning curve is effectively zero compared to other national keyboard layouts that may move the locations of letters and punctuation.

Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

MTGuru wrote:
'Sea...rinne mé botún beag. Cóireoidh mé é i mo theachtaireacht féin.

GRMA!

Redwolf
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

MTGuru wrote:FWIW, my favorite Windows keyboard solution has long been the US International layout, since the time when I was heavily involved in internationalization and localization issues (though not Irish specifically).

In this layout, the single-quote (tick) and back-quote (backtick) keys become dead keys for acute (fada) and grave accents, respectively. Other Latin diacritics (circumflex, umlaut, cedilla, tilde) are similarly available. Otherwise, the standard US English keyboard is unchanged, so the learning curve is effectively zero compared to other national keyboard layouts that may move the locations of letters and punctuation.
Where is the back-quote key? Is that the one at the far left of the second row, just before the !/1?

Redwolf
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Redwolf wrote:Where is the back-quote key? Is that the one at the far left of the second row, just before the !/1?
Yes, that's it!

s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

For very occasional use, I open the windows character map, and then copy and paste the symbol I want into my document. This does not always result in a websafe character, however. Another workaround when I know I want a symbol but can't be arsed opening character map is to type the word, sans accents, into a google searchbox on my browser. There will usually always be a link to a page in the target language in the top ten, and I just copy and paste the entire word into my doc. For an example, this is an easy way to turn resume into résumé, for instance. It's especially helpful if I'm a little vague on which funny character is the correct spelling.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

s1m0n wrote:For very occasional use, I open the windows character map, and then copy and paste the symbol I want into my document. This does not always result in a websafe character, however. Another workaround when I know I want a symbol but can't be arsed opening character map is to type the word, sans accents, into a google searchbox on my browser. There will usually always be a link to a page in the target language in the top ten, and I just copy and paste the entire word into my doc. For an example, this is an easy way to turn resume into résumé, for instance. It's especially helpful if I'm a little vague on which funny character is the correct spelling.
I wouldn't try the Google option with Irish. There's more misspelled Irish than not out there on the web. Most people aren't aware that there's a world of difference between Éire and eire.

Redwolf
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

MTGuru wrote:
I was going to pile on her for saying "or just use 'fada' for short". :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

Nanohedron wrote:
MTGuru wrote:
I was going to pile on her for saying "or just use 'fada' for short". :wink:
:lol:
Seonachan

Post by Seonachan »

On a Mac, you get the Irish fada (aka acute accent) by typing the [option] key plus e, then the vowel you want to accent. e.g., to get báta you type [option+e] [a] [t] [a]

For Scottish Gaelic accents, you type [option+`] followed by the vowel.

And [option+u] gets you umlauts, [option+i] gets you those little hats above the letters, [option+n] gives you the tilde, and so on for all the other weird anti-American characters.
'Se SUV a th'anns a' chànan eile agam
The Sporting Pitchfork

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

Oh, and the grave accents in Scottish Gaelic are called "sràc" (pl. "sràcan"). I've also seen it written as "stràc", which is how many speakers would pronounce it.
Mr.Gumby

Post by Mr.Gumby »

For simplicity I use Ctrl+Alt and get éáóúíÉÍÓÁÚ without any problems.
My brain hurts