Typing accent marks

Tá Failte Romhat! For all conversation about the Irish language. Scots Gaelic discussion welcome.
Forum rules
The purpose of this forum is to provide a place for people who are interested in the Irish language and various Celtic languages to discuss them, to practice them, and to share information about them, particularly (but not exclusively) in the context of traditional music and culture.

This is not a "translation forum," per se, though translation requests may occasionally be honored at the discretion of the moderators. If you're seeking a one-time translation for something like a tattoo, engraving, wedding vow, or other such purpose, we strongly recommend that you visit our friends at ILF: http://irishlearner.awyr.com
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Typing accent marks

Post by Redwolf »

Mr.Gumby wrote:For simplicity I use Ctrl+Alt and get éáóúíÉÍÓÁÚ without any problems.
Ctrl+Alt plus the letter? That doesn't work on my system. Does it require a different keyboard layout?

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Mr.Gumby
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Mr.Gumby »

Ctrl+Alt plus the letter? That doesn't work on my system. Does it require a different keyboard layout?
Hm, not that I am aware of. I use a standard Dell Windows keyboard, English-GB layout ( I don't think there was a specific English-IRL layout available when I set it up). Previous machines, son's laptop and wife machines at work all do the same, maybe it's in the water?

Add:

Regional setting for the system is English(Ireland) so that could be it.
My brain hurts

Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Mr.Gumby wrote:
Hm, not that I am aware of. I use a standard Dell Windows keyboard, English-GB layout ( I don't think there was a specific English-IRL layout available when I set it up). Previous machines, son's laptop and wife machines at work all do the same, maybe it's in the water?

Add:

Regional setting for the system is English(Ireland) so that could be it.
Or it could even be the English-GB layout. I've got an American English layout.

If I set it up with the Irish layout (which I have on my netbook), my right "ALT" key works as an ALT GR key. But CTRL+ALT gives me tada.

Ah computers! :lol:

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!