Learn to speak Gaelic in WNC

Tá Failte Romhat! For all conversation about the Irish language. Scots Gaelic discussion welcome.
Forum rules
The purpose of this forum is to provide a place for people who are interested in the Irish language and various Celtic languages to discuss them, to practice them, and to share information about them, particularly (but not exclusively) in the context of traditional music and culture.

This is not a "translation forum," per se, though translation requests may occasionally be honored at the discretion of the moderators. If you're seeking a one-time translation for something like a tattoo, engraving, wedding vow, or other such purpose, we strongly recommend that you visit our friends at ILF: http://irishlearner.awyr.com
pipersgrip
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Learn to speak Gaelic in WNC

Post by pipersgrip »

I was wondering if anyone knows of any schools or anything that will teach the Irish Gaelic language around the Western NC area.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Learn to speak Gaelic in WNC

Post by Redwolf »

Your best bet would be to check out the teachers/classes listings at Daltai.com:

http://www.daltai.com/classes.htm

Another option is to check out the languages department of any local college/university. Even if they don't offer Irish as a course option, they may have people in the department who speak the language and would be interested in offering classes.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
pipersgrip

Post by pipersgrip »

Thanks for that info. I will have to ask around some of the Universities.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
pipersgrip

Post by pipersgrip »

Also, how would you rate the "Teach it Yourself Irish" book/cd? I know they are a big company, but that is what I am worried about. It might be a bit too commercialized.
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

The Whistle Collector wrote:Also, how would you rate the "Teach it Yourself Irish" book/cd? I know they are a big company, but that is what I am worried about. It might be a bit too commercialized.
It's a decent starter set. I wouldn't worry about the "commercial" aspect of it. There are some errors (mostly errors of omission...for example, they teach "seomra suite" for "sitting room," and then later in the chapter have a crossword puzzle that requires you to use "parlus" for "sitting room" even though you haven't learned it yet), but for the most part it's pretty solid. It's what I started with, for whatever that's worth.

My favorite beginner's book is "Now You're Talking," but I don't think they've ever updated it to CDs...the last version I saw still used audiotapes.

Here's a new one, that's really good for learning the basics. I know the people behind it, and they're really brilliant teachers:

http://www.enjoyirish.ie/

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
pipersgrip

Post by pipersgrip »

Thanks Redwold! I also found an Irish professor that teaches for free near by thanks to that site!! I appreciate the help, thank you.