Looking for help from Scottish Gaelic speakers

Tá Failte Romhat! For all conversation about the Irish language. Scots Gaelic discussion welcome.
Forum rules
The purpose of this forum is to provide a place for people who are interested in the Irish language and various Celtic languages to discuss them, to practice them, and to share information about them, particularly (but not exclusively) in the context of traditional music and culture.

This is not a "translation forum," per se, though translation requests may occasionally be honored at the discretion of the moderators. If you're seeking a one-time translation for something like a tattoo, engraving, wedding vow, or other such purpose, we strongly recommend that you visit our friends at ILF: http://irishlearner.awyr.com
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Looking for help from Scottish Gaelic speakers

Post by Redwolf »

Hey all,

We have someone on IGTF who is looking for a Scottish Gaelic translation for part of a wedding ceremony. We only have one regular over there who has any Scottish Gaelic (there's another fellow who drops in from time to time, but he hasn't been around recently). We strongly recommend that people get at least three people on the forum in agreement on a translation before using it, but that's problematic here. I was wondering if any of the Scottish Gaelic speakers here would be willing to go over there, have a look, and either confirm, correct, or suggest improvements to Kevin's translation?

Here's the link:

http://www.irishgaelictranslator.com/tr ... ml#p725274

I'm hoping this doesn't violate the rules of the forum...if so, mods, please let me know. I didn't want to just refer the fellow over here, as translations really aren't the business of this forum, but I since most of the Scottish Gaelic speakers/learners I know hang out here, I figured it was worth asking.

Thanks!

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Seonachan

Re: Looking for help from Scottish Gaelic speakers

Post by Seonachan »

I went ahead and muddied the waters.
'Se SUV a th'anns a' chànan eile agam
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

Seonachan wrote:I went ahead and muddied the waters.
Thanks...it was helpful.

The problem is, there really isn't a Scottish Gaelic equivalent of IGTF, so we don't really know where to refer folks. Kevin has a fair bit of Gaelic, and there's one other fellow who's fluent, but he's not often there. They come to us, either because they don't realize there's a difference or because they haven't been able to find another place for a translation and hope we can help. They always make us a bit nervous because of our "three in agreement" policy (the way we figure it, even a native speaker can make a typo or have a bad brain day -- heck, I do in English all the time). I shudder to think how many people out there resort to pulling words out of a dictionary and plugging them into English syntax. We used to see a lot of that with Irish. Now we're more likely to see garbage from Google "translate," which isn't much better.

I keep hoping that a Scottish Gaelic equivalent of IGTF will pop up, but so far, no joy.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
The Sporting Pitchfork

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

The closest equivalent would be http://www.foramnagaidhlig.net, but I think Seonachan cleared things up pretty well on this one.
avanutria
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

By the way, as a mod I see no problem with posting here to draw attention to language needs on IGTF - it's all about working together!
An bhfuil aon dearmad i mo Ghaeilge? Abair mé, le do thoil!