Dw i'n dysgu Cymraeg...

Tá Failte Romhat! For all conversation about the Irish language. Scots Gaelic discussion welcome.
Forum rules
The purpose of this forum is to provide a place for people who are interested in the Irish language and various Celtic languages to discuss them, to practice them, and to share information about them, particularly (but not exclusively) in the context of traditional music and culture.

This is not a "translation forum," per se, though translation requests may occasionally be honored at the discretion of the moderators. If you're seeking a one-time translation for something like a tattoo, engraving, wedding vow, or other such purpose, we strongly recommend that you visit our friends at ILF: http://irishlearner.awyr.com
technowhistle
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I need help transcribing whistle music! My 'by ear' listening and playing isn't all that good. I hope I can find that help here.

Dw i'n dysgu Cymraeg...

Post by technowhistle »

I have been learning welsh for about 6 months and am looking for people online to have conversations with, especially about trad folk music etc.

Helo, Shw mae? technowhistle dw i, pwy dych chi?

Pedair cath gyda fi...

Dw i'n hoffi chwarae Whistle.

Dw i'n dod o Loegr. :o

Like I said. I'd like to make welsh music friends.
I d̶o̶n̶'̶t̶have a beard.

I̶t̶'̶s̶ ̶g̶o̶n̶e̶!̶
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Dw i'n dysgu Cymraeg...

Post by Redwolf »

You might have better luck on one of the Welsh forums. I'm sure there are some people around here who have Welsh, but given the title of this forum, most of the folks who come in here either have or are looking for info on Irish or Scottish Gaelic.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
technowhistle
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I need help transcribing whistle music! My 'by ear' listening and playing isn't all that good. I hope I can find that help here.

Post by technowhistle »

Yeah I thought as much because there was no mention of Welsh in the forum description.

There are 600,000 fluent Welsh speakers which I believe to be around the same as fluent Irish speakers in ROI and N.Ireland, yet there are more people in Ireland than Wales. So Wales has a higher percentage of 'non-english' speaking people. This is why I thought it was worth a try to possibly find someone to chat about Trad music to in welsh. Though given the arguably higher profile of traditional music in Ireland and Scotland than Wales, I fully understand why the Welsh Language isn't catered for in this forum.

In summary I thought it was worth a go but it's a shame welsh isn't here too!... :)
I d̶o̶n̶'̶t̶have a beard.

I̶t̶'̶s̶ ̶g̶o̶n̶e̶!̶
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

technowhistle wrote:Yeah I thought as much because there was no mention of Welsh in the forum description.

There are 600,000 fluent Welsh speakers which I believe to be around the same as fluent Irish speakers in ROI and N.Ireland, yet there are more people in Ireland than Wales. So Wales has a higher percentage of 'non-english' speaking people. This is why I thought it was worth a try to possibly find someone to chat about Trad music to in welsh. Though given the arguably higher profile of traditional music in Ireland and Scotland than Wales, I fully understand why the Welsh Language isn't catered for in this forum.

In summary I thought it was worth a go but it's a shame welsh isn't here too!... :)
It's not that it wouldn't be catered for...It's just that I've not seen anyone here speaking it. No one's trying to exclude it, that's for sure.

The forum description does say "other Celtic languages," which certainly includes Welsh (along with Cornish, Manx, and Breton)

Redwolf
GordonH

Post by GordonH »

The language that we now know as Welsh (because its confined to Wales) was originally spoken in other areas of great britain including lowland Scotland.

See this article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brythonic_languages

I am of Manx ancestry so I suppose my native language is Gaelg which is not unlike Irish

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manx_language

I don't speak any of these languages although we do have a Scots Gaelic TV Channel on the TV here.
The closest I get is a chorus of Bratach Bana.
splitz

Post by splitz »

[Thread revival. - Mod]

Dw i'n siariad typn bach o gymraeg.

Dw i'n dod o Loegr, ond dw i'n byw yn Ynghaerdydd nawr.

Hwyl!
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

FWIW, Manx is VERY like Irish. Scottish Gaelic and Manx are both off-shoots of Middle Irish, so they come from the same branch of the Celtic family tree. Welsh, Cornish and Breton are relatives, but come from a different branch.

Strictly speaking, one's "native language" is the language that was spoken in the home when one was growing up...in other words, one's "first language." If you didn't grow up speaking Manx, then it would make more sense to say that Manx is your ancestral language.

I'd love to find more Welsh speakers to provide input here, but the Welsh speakers I know personally aren't members here, and don't have any connection with traditional music, so given the focus of the forum, I'm reluctant to invite them. I don't want them to come here and be told that their input isn't relevant.

Redwolf
Bríd Eilís

Post by Bríd Eilís »

Dw i'n dysgu Cymraeg hefyd. Ond dw dim yn dda. Dw i'n byw yn Iwerddon. :D
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

Bríd Eilís wrote:Dw i'n dysgu Cymraeg hefyd. Ond dw dim yn dda. Dw i'n byw yn Iwerddon. :D
Haigh, a Bhríd! Fáilte go C&F!

Redwolf
Bríd Eilís

Post by Bríd Eilís »

Redwolf wrote:
Bríd Eilís wrote:Dw i'n dysgu Cymraeg hefyd. Ond dw dim yn dda. Dw i'n byw yn Iwerddon. :D
Haigh, a Bhríd! Fáilte go C&F!

Redwolf
Go raibh míle maith 'ad a chara :)
tritaffy

Post by tritaffy »

Shw mae pobl ! Dw i'n dysgu siarad Gymraeg hefyd ac dw i'n ceisio i chwarare y pibau pen elin. Ar hyn o bryd yn dw i'n byw yn y Gymoedd Rhondda. Edrychwych a'r www.swalespipers.com , diolch yn fawr :D
Bríd Eilís

Post by Bríd Eilís »

tritaffy wrote:Shw mae pobl ! Dw i'n dysgu siarad Gymraeg hefyd ac dw i'n ceisio i chwarare y pibau pen elin. Ar hyn o bryd yn dw i'n byw yn y Gymoedd Rhondda. Edrychwych a'r http://www.swalespipers.com , diolch yn fawr :D
Da iawn ! dw dim yn chwarae dim bid.