Christmas present

Tá Failte Romhat! For all conversation about the Irish language. Scots Gaelic discussion welcome.
Forum rules
The purpose of this forum is to provide a place for people who are interested in the Irish language and various Celtic languages to discuss them, to practice them, and to share information about them, particularly (but not exclusively) in the context of traditional music and culture.

This is not a "translation forum," per se, though translation requests may occasionally be honored at the discretion of the moderators. If you're seeking a one-time translation for something like a tattoo, engraving, wedding vow, or other such purpose, we strongly recommend that you visit our friends at ILF: http://irishlearner.awyr.com
MeaghanEryn
antispam: No

Christmas present

Post by MeaghanEryn »

Just thought I would share that I received an awesome addition to my slowly growing Gaeilge library: "Harry Potter agus an Órchloch" (the Irish version of "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone"). It's a lot of fun to compare it with the English version and see how good my guesses are!

(By way of short introduction: I've been slowly studying Gaelic on my own for the past couple years, using this website http://www.erinsweb.com/gae_index.html and, recently, a couple of books: Progress in Irish (Ní Ghráda), Buntús Cainte (Domhnalláin), and Learning Irish (Ó Siadhail), and I've been meeting to practice my spoken Irish with a woman who went through the public school system in Laois, Ireland. I'd really like to teach music in Ireland for a few years and was told by the embassy that I needed Gaelic to do so, but I haven't seen anything on any of the education websites--does anyone know anything more about that? I'm having a great time learning it, anyhow!)

Meaghan
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Christmas present

Post by Redwolf »

I read "Harry Potter Agus an Órchloch" last year. It is fun to read a book in Irish that you've read in English, isn't it? I'm about to start on Artemis Fowl.

I heard a rumor years ago that "The Hobbit" was to be translated to Irish, but I haven't seen that come to fruition yet.

Yes, teachers in The Republic of Ireland must pass an exam in Irish (at least if they want to teach in the public schools). If you want to ask this question on the forum over at IGTF (www.irishgaelictranslator.com), we have a teacher or two there who can answer any questions you may have about that.

I don't believe that Northern Ireland has the Irish language requirement.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!