Scottish Gaelic tune name question

Tá Failte Romhat! For all conversation about the Irish language. Scots Gaelic discussion welcome.
Forum rules
The purpose of this forum is to provide a place for people who are interested in the Irish language and various Celtic languages to discuss them, to practice them, and to share information about them, particularly (but not exclusively) in the context of traditional music and culture.

This is not a "translation forum," per se, though translation requests may occasionally be honored at the discretion of the moderators. If you're seeking a one-time translation for something like a tattoo, engraving, wedding vow, or other such purpose, we strongly recommend that you visit our friends at ILF: http://irishlearner.awyr.com
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Scottish Gaelic tune name question

Post by Redwolf »

Hey all,

I may be playing "The Christ Child's Lullaby" this weekend, and since I prefer to give tune names in the original language, I need to check and make sure that what I've found is the correct Scottish Gaelic name of the tune. I have Tàladh Chriosta...does that sound right?

Also, as I have no Scottish Gaelic, a bit of guidance on pronunciation would be useful. My Donegal Irish wants to make it TAL-oo HRIS-tuh (that "h" sound actually being closer to the German "ich"). Am I anywhere near the ballpark?

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Seonachan

Re: Scottish Gaelic tune name question

Post by Seonachan »

You've pretty much got it.

I would pronounce it TAAL-ugh (gh = softly voiced gutteral), not TAAL-oo, but maybe some dialects would.

The only other change I would make is to make Chriosta into 3, or 2.5, syllables. (HRI-uh-stuh by your formulation), with the middle "uh" being slight but present. Think of the -stuh as being at the broad end of the spectrum and the HRI at the slender end - you need the -uh- to give your tounge and mouth time to get all the way down!
'Se SUV a th'anns a' chànan eile agam
Seonachan

Post by Seonachan »

Oh yeah, and I would spell it Tàladh Chrìosda. (the i has an accent in case it's hard to see)
'Se SUV a th'anns a' chànan eile agam
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

Seonachan wrote:Oh yeah, and I would spell it Tàladh Chrìosda. (the i has an accent in case it's hard to see)

Grand. I wondered if there should be an accent on the "i", as there is in Irish (it would be "Chríost" in Irish, in this genitive position). The gutteral "gh" sound in "tàladh" is also close to some dialects of Irish, so it's not far off.

Just out of curiosity, does "tàladh" mean "lullaby"? The Irish word would be "suantraí" (in fact, we sing an Irish version of this song called "Suantraí an Chríost"). I like to be accurate with my translations as well, when I'm attributing music.

Redwolf
The Sporting Pitchfork

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

Seonachan nailed the pronunciation already. I would also prefer the spelling "Chrìosda", but as in Irish spelling reforms 50+ years ago, a lot of intervocalic and word-final Ds in Scottish Gaelic words are getting shifted to Ts because the Ds tend to be devoiced, anyway, so I imagine "Chrìosta" might also be considered acceptable.

Tàladh, according to my dictionary, can mean lullaby. It also lists terms such as "allurement", "soothing", "enticing", and "taming."
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

Go raibh maith ag an beirt agaibh!

Redwolf