Irish gaelic name pronunciation

Tá Failte Romhat! For all conversation about the Irish language. Scots Gaelic discussion welcome.
Forum rules
The purpose of this forum is to provide a place for people who are interested in the Irish language and various Celtic languages to discuss them, to practice them, and to share information about them, particularly (but not exclusively) in the context of traditional music and culture.

This is not a "translation forum," per se, though translation requests may occasionally be honored at the discretion of the moderators. If you're seeking a one-time translation for something like a tattoo, engraving, wedding vow, or other such purpose, we strongly recommend that you visit our friends at ILF: http://irishlearner.awyr.com
Jayhawk
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Irish gaelic name pronunciation

Post by Jayhawk »

I've seen two old Irish names and am not sure exactly how to pronounce them...can anyone help with Ruadhri and Tadgh?

Likely, they're both pronounced as swampwarblermangrove, but I wanted to double check.

Eric
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Irish gaelic name pronunciation

Post by Redwolf »

Jayhawk wrote:I've seen two old Irish names and am not sure exactly how to pronounce them...can anyone help with Ruadhri and Tadgh?

Likely, they're both pronounced as swampwarblermangrove, but I wanted to double check.

Eric
"Tadhg" is pronounced more or less like "Tyg" (as in short for "tiger"). "Ruadhrí" is, roughly, ROO-uh-ree (it's the name from which we get "Rory")

Tadhg is still quite a common name, especially in the north (I know a couple of guys named Tadhg).

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Jayhawk
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Redwolf - thanks for the help. That's actually what I was guessing, but I hate to guess and appreciate the guidance. I've heard "Tyg" pronounced but wasn't 100% sure it went with Tadgh.

I find Irish pronunciation hopelessly confusing - almost like it was a language invented just to confuse me...which shows remarkable farsightedness since the language has been around just a bit longer than I have been.

Eric
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Jayhawk wrote:Redwolf - thanks for the help. That's actually what I was guessing, but I hate to guess and appreciate the guidance. I've heard "Tyg" pronounced but wasn't 100% sure it went with Tadgh.

I find Irish pronunciation hopelessly confusing - almost like it was a language invented just to confuse me...which shows remarkable farsightedness since the language has been around just a bit longer than I have been.

Eric
No prob!

It's really not so bad, once you're used to it. It's a lot more regular than English.

One thing that's helped me a lot with pronunciation is reading the printed words as I listen to songs...then singing along, as I become more able. It helps make that connection between what the eye sees, the ears hear, and the mouth says.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!