Practice: Do laethanta saoire

Tá Failte Romhat! For all conversation about the Irish language. Scots Gaelic discussion welcome.
Forum rules
The purpose of this forum is to provide a place for people who are interested in the Irish language and various Celtic languages to discuss them, to practice them, and to share information about them, particularly (but not exclusively) in the context of traditional music and culture.

This is not a "translation forum," per se, though translation requests may occasionally be honored at the discretion of the moderators. If you're seeking a one-time translation for something like a tattoo, engraving, wedding vow, or other such purpose, we strongly recommend that you visit our friends at ILF: http://irishlearner.awyr.com
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Practice: Do laethanta saoire

Post by Redwolf »

Here's a chance to practice your Irish. What are you doing for your vacation/holidays this summer? It can be very simple (for example "beidh mé ag dul go dtí an trá"), or you can write a paragraph.

This can be reading practice as well. To reduce the temptation to "cheat," I'm going to enter the English translation for mine in white. If you want to see it, you can by highlighting the area under the Irish paragraph...but give it a go without first, if you can...see how much you can get.

Mo laethanta saoire, Samhradh, 2009

Imeoimid an seachtain seo chugainn, cuairt a chur ar ár gcuid muintire. Turas fada a bheidh ann! Ar dtús, tiomáinfimid ó thuaidh go Lincoln City, Oregon, cuairt a chur ar thuismitheoirí Tony. Ina dhiaidh sin, rachaimid go Vancouver, BC, cuairt a chur ar chara idirlín do chuid Anna. Ansin, rachaimid go Spokane, Washington, cuairt a chur ar mo thuismitheoirí féin.

Ní bheimid abhaile ach cuig lá sula mbeimid ag imeacht arís...ag tiomáint ó dheas go Anaheim agus San Diego. Fanfaimid trí lá in Anaheim, le mo dhlúthchara Mickey Mouse (Disney abú!), agus ansin rachaimid go San Diego, ComicCon a fhreastail.

Tá mé tuirseach cheana!

Mac Tíre Rua

(Ba mhaith liom ceartúcháin, más féidir)

My vacation, Summer 2009

We will leave next week, to pay a visit to our families. It will be a long trip! First, we'll drive north, to Lincoln City, Oregon, to visit Tony's parents. After that, we'll go to Vancouver, BC, to visit an internet friend of Anna's. Then we'll go to Spokane, Washington, to visit my parents.

We'll only be home five days before we'll be leaving again...driving south to Anaheim and San Diego. We'll stay three days in Anaheim, with my dear friend Mickey Mouse (yay Disney!), and then we'll go to San Diego, to attend ComicCon.

I'm tired already!

Redwolf

(I would like corrections, if possible)
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Practice: Do laethanta saoire

Post by MTGuru »

Red, if you're interested in a session break from ComiCon, the Sunday session at The Field pub is a few blocks from the Convention Center. Just don't show up in a Furry suit or Klingon armor, or they won't be able to tell you from the pub punters. :wink:
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Practice: Do laethanta saoire

Post by Redwolf »

MTGuru wrote:Red, if you're interested in a session break from ComiCon, the Sunday session at The Field pub is a few blocks from the Convention Center. Just don't show up in a Furry suit or Klingon armor, or they won't be able to tell you from the pub punters. :wink:
Wish I could, but we have to head back Saturday morning, so Tony can be at work on Monday. :cry:

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!