An léann tú leabhair as Gaeilge?

Tá Failte Romhat! For all conversation about the Irish language. Scots Gaelic discussion welcome.
Forum rules
The purpose of this forum is to provide a place for people who are interested in the Irish language and various Celtic languages to discuss them, to practice them, and to share information about them, particularly (but not exclusively) in the context of traditional music and culture.

This is not a "translation forum," per se, though translation requests may occasionally be honored at the discretion of the moderators. If you're seeking a one-time translation for something like a tattoo, engraving, wedding vow, or other such purpose, we strongly recommend that you visit our friends at ILF: http://irishlearner.awyr.com
The Sporting Pitchfork
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

An léann tú leabhair as Gaeilge?

Post by The Sporting Pitchfork »

Táim ag léamh "Dúnmharú Sa Daingean" le Éilís Ní Dhuibhne faoi láthair. Is é leabhar iontach, dar liom, go hairithe do foghlaimeoirí--scríobhann sí smaoineamh mór le focail simplí. Sa leabhar seo, fágann Saoirse, an banlaoch, saol shofaisticiúil i mBaile Átha Cliath agus téann sí chun faoiseamh a lorg i gCorca Dhuibhne... Ach faigheann sí rúndiamhra dorcha in ionad.

---

I'm reading "Dúnmharú Sa Daingean" (i.e.,"Murder In Dingle") by Éilís Ní Dhuibhne at the moment. This is my first attempt at reading a book in Irish, and in my opinion, it's a great book (so far, anyways--I'm only about 10 pages in). Ní Dhuibhne writes big ideas with simple words, which makes it particularly apt for learners. In the book, Saoirse, the heroine, leaves her sophisticated life in Dublin and goes in search of breathing space in West Kerry... But she finds dark mysteries instead.

I'd highly recommend it to anyone with intermediate or higher skills in Irish under their belt.
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: An léann tú leabhair as Gaeilge?

Post by Redwolf »

Is breá liom bheith ag léamh as Gaeilge. Nuair a bhí mé in Éirinn anuraidh, líon mé mo mhala le gach sórt leabhair Gaeilge: úrscéalta, den chuid is mó (bhí mo mhala an-trom nuair a d'fhill mé abhaile!). Chríochnaigh mé an ceann deireanach an seachtain seo caite. Ach bhí an t-ádh orm...tá cara Éireannach do mo chuid ag filleadh go h-Éirinn, cúrsa ollscoile a fhreastail, agus thug sí a cuid leabhar Gaeilge dom, iad a stóráil ar a son go dtí a thiocfaidh sí ar ais.

I love reading in Irish. When I was in Ireland last year, I filled my bag with every kind of Irish book: novels, for the most part (my bag was very heavy when I returned home!). I finished the last one last week. But I got lucky...an Irish friend of mine is returning to Ireland to attend a university course, and she gave me her Irish books to store for her until she comes back.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!