Translation Request: Pain in the foot

Tá Failte Romhat! For all conversation about the Irish language. Scots Gaelic discussion welcome.
Forum rules
The purpose of this forum is to provide a place for people who are interested in the Irish language and various Celtic languages to discuss them, to practice them, and to share information about them, particularly (but not exclusively) in the context of traditional music and culture.

This is not a "translation forum," per se, though translation requests may occasionally be honored at the discretion of the moderators. If you're seeking a one-time translation for something like a tattoo, engraving, wedding vow, or other such purpose, we strongly recommend that you visit our friends at ILF: http://irishlearner.awyr.com
caedmon
antispam: No

Translation Request: Pain in the foot

Post by caedmon »

Is it appropriate to ask for some simple translations in this part of the forum? I am looking for a translation for 'pain in the foot'. For context, a pain as a sword or othe sharp object might cause, should that affect the translation.

Thank you.
Chad Wilson

Some whistles, an old fiddle, an old banjo, a bass, a guitar and a bodhran
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Translation Request: Pain in the foot

Post by Redwolf »

Sure...why not? The only cautionary statement I would make is that a translation request for anything of a permanent nature (engraving, tattoo, etc.) should be taken to www.irishgaelictranslator.com. I say that because, over there, we insist that any translation for something permanent get three people in agreement, and I'm not sure we have enough people here yet to make that stipulation. It can be a tricky language, idiom-wise.

Pain in the foot: Pian sa chos. You might be more likely, though, to say "pain in my foot" in Irish: Pian i mo chos.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

I guess that would be an odd tattoo. Unless it's a self-referential foot tattoo.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Cork

Post by Cork »

Redwolf wrote:...The only cautionary statement I would make is that a translation request for anything of a permanent nature (engraving, tattoo, etc.) should be taken to http://www.irishgaelictranslator.com. I say that because, over there, we insist that any translation for something permanent get three people in agreement, and I'm not sure we have enough people here yet to make that stipulation. It can be a tricky language, idiom-wise.
To all C&F moderators: I hereby nominate the above post by Redwolf to be sticky-worthy, please.

Could anybody here second that nomination?
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

The tattoo and translation request issue was already discussed by the mods before this forum even went live. It's a well-known problem on other Irish boards. So we'll just leave it at that for now, and deal with it if and when it poses a concern. Thanks.

Cork

Post by Cork »

Well, if translation matters could be of concern at all, including the apparent experience of other boards, then perhaps a sticky as a precautionary advisement could be appropriate. Such a sticky need not quote anybody, such as Redwolf, for instance, but by having such a C&F sticky perhaps nobody could then say that they weren't so advised.
caedmon

Post by caedmon »

Fortunately for me, this isn't for the purpose of a tattoo, but I understand the concern.

Thank you for the translation.
Chad Wilson

Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

It's a stock answer that I give whenever I offer a translation. Even if it seems to be an unlikely phrase for a tattoo...well, all I can say is in five years on IGTF, I've seen some really, really weird tattoo requests! :lol:

I'm not sure it needs to be stickied. At IGTF we have it at the top of the forum, but that's primarily because 1) our main function is translations (we also discuss other things related to the language, of course, but "translation" is part of our name, and what most of the people who surf into the forum want) and 2) something like 75% of our requests from new users are for tattoos (and a good portion of the remainder are for other permanent or semi-permanent applications, such as wedding ring engravings, memorial plaques, signs or T-shirts).

Because of that, we have a kind of unwritten policy that anyone who offers a translation over there should tell the requestor to wait for more input, even if the person offering the translation is a native speaker (this is in addition to having that disclaimer at the top of the forum, and in the "posting guide" shown to each new user on registration), and that beginners should identify themselves as such.

That's not likely to be the case here...I doubt we're going to get many tattoo requests! For me, however, it's as much a reflex as anything else.

Redwolf
caedmon

Post by caedmon »

I was actually trying to think of a funny name for a ITM group. My left foot, from years of sword-based martial arts, has a permanent ache to it, along with other sporting activities that probably have not done it well. As me and ladies practice more and I slowly convince them to go an open mic night at the local irish pub, I was thinking a humorous name might be in order. Not that most Americans would ever get the joke. But that would just make it all the more funny to me. :lol:
Chad Wilson

Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

caedmon wrote:I was actually trying to think of a funny name for a ITM group. My left foot, from years of sword-based martial arts, has a permanent ache to it, along with other sporting activities that probably have not done it well. As me and ladies practice more and I slowly convince them to go an open mic night at the local irish pub, I was thinking a humorous name might be in order. Not that most Americans would ever get the joke. But that would just make it all the more funny to me. :lol:
Well, that's how The Pogues got their name after all! It was originally "Pogue Mahone" (a phoneticization of "póg mo thóin" (kiss my arse)), but Irish announcers refused to introduce them that way! :lol:

Redwolf
Cork

Post by Cork »

Cork wrote:Well, if translation matters could be of concern at all, including the apparent experience of other boards, then perhaps a sticky as a precautionary advisement could be appropriate. Such a sticky need not quote anybody, such as Redwolf, for instance, but by having such a C&F sticky perhaps nobody could then say that they weren't so advised.
As a beginning student, I'm certainly not a qualified Irish speaker. Then again, I don't have any tattoos, either. Moreover, even if I were a qualified Irish speaker, if somebody asked me to translate something, it simply wouldn't ordinarily occur to me that the intended use of such a translation could be for an engraving, legal advise, a tattoo, etc., unless they made a point of saying so. And, that's my point, in that perhaps an advisement sticky could serve two purposes, 1) to advise anybody who could have such a question, and 2) to advise C&F members of potential consequences.

I rest my case, Your Honor.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

MTGuru wrote:The tattoo and translation request issue was already discussed by the mods before this forum even went live. It's a well-known problem on other Irish boards. So we'll just leave it at that for now, and deal with it if and when it poses a concern. Thanks.

Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Redwolf wrote:
caedmon wrote:I was actually trying to think of a funny name for a ITM group. My left foot, from years of sword-based martial arts, has a permanent ache to it, along with other sporting activities that probably have not done it well. As me and ladies practice more and I slowly convince them to go an open mic night at the local irish pub, I was thinking a humorous name might be in order. Not that most Americans would ever get the joke. But that would just make it all the more funny to me. :lol:
Well, that's how The Pogues got their name after all! It was originally "Pogue Mahone" (a phoneticization of "póg mo thóin" (kiss my arse)), but Irish announcers refused to introduce them that way! :lol:

Redwolf
How about "Pian sa Thóin" instead? :wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
caedmon

Post by caedmon »

Nanohedron wrote:
Redwolf wrote:

Redwolf
How about "Pian sa Thóin" instead? :wink:
No, then I could never tell my mother what it translated to. :)
Chad Wilson