Singing in Irish...for beginners

Tá Failte Romhat! For all conversation about the Irish language. Scots Gaelic discussion welcome.
Forum rules
The purpose of this forum is to provide a place for people who are interested in the Irish language and various Celtic languages to discuss them, to practice them, and to share information about them, particularly (but not exclusively) in the context of traditional music and culture.

This is not a "translation forum," per se, though translation requests may occasionally be honored at the discretion of the moderators. If you're seeking a one-time translation for something like a tattoo, engraving, wedding vow, or other such purpose, we strongly recommend that you visit our friends at ILF: http://irishlearner.awyr.com
avanutria
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Singing in Irish...for beginners

Post by avanutria »

I love getting kids' song materials in Irish. Yesterday I got a copy of D'aon Ghuth 1 in the mail which is a CD and sheet music set designed for primary schools. Catchy, repetitive, and simple words = fast learning, for me anyway. By the time I got home from work I had memorised the song about being a farmer - excuse any misspellings please, as I don't have the book with me today:

Is mise an feirmeoir, Pat is ainm dom.
Is mise an feirmeoir, Pat is ainm dom.
Is breá liom beidh ag siúl ar an feirm gach lá.
Is breá liom an ghrian agus is breá liom an speir.
Is breá liom na ainmhithe go leor,
Is breá liom na ainmhithe go leor.

..two additional similar verses follow, about hearing the donkey and seeing the cow.

http://www.staff.city.ac.uk/~sbbb698/ga ... rmeoir.mp3
An bhfuil aon dearmad i mo Ghaeilge? Abair mé, le do thoil!
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Singing in Irish...for beginners

Post by Redwolf »

Super stuff! I've found that songs help me immensely, especially when it comes to remembering if some words are masculine or feminine, or keeping track of more complex structures.

Do you have this book, by any chance?

http://www.marymclaughlin.com/irishbookdemo.html

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
avanutria
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Tá, I got it about three years ago, but haven't used it yet! I found it a bit intimidating, as I don't know any of the songs already and don't read music.
An bhfuil aon dearmad i mo Ghaeilge? Abair mé, le do thoil!
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

avanutria wrote:Tá, I got it about three years ago, but haven't used it yet! I found it a bit intimidating, as I don't know any of the songs already and don't read music.
Ah, but you're a good ear learner, I know. That's the beauty of the method. She speaks the entire song, phrase by phrase, very slowly so you can repeat after her. Then she sings it, again, very slowly. Works great for ear learners.

It's been kind of interesting in our Gaelic choir, as we have quite a mixture of people...some read music, some don't; some are used to singing in parts, some aren't; some have at least some Irish, most don't have even a smidgen. Mary's used this same method, and it's worked brilliantly...at this year's concert, we may have as many as 40 people singing in Irish!

You are actually somewhat familiar with one of the songs in the book. Remember the one our level three class did for the Friday "end-of-course" performance (where I sang the verses and the rest of you sang along on the chorus)? That's in there: Thugamar Féin an Samhradh Linn. Same words and tune...I learned it from Mary, actually. It's also often done on the whistle...I bet you could pick it up really quickly.

What I'd do is this: Listen to the CD, and ignore the printed music...just focus on the words and on hearing the tune. As you know, Irish music is usually transmitted through the oral/aural tradition anyway...Mary only includes the printed music because some folks need it.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
KNQuail
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by KNQuail »

Very cool! I haven't tried my hand at any Irish yet, but I have learned a few Gaelic songs by listening to Julie Fowlis' CDs and (trying to) follow the lyrics in the album liner notes. Most of it I've picked up by ear because I really don't have a strong enough grasp of Gaelic pronounciation to look at the words and say them properly.