The Epigram Thread

Tá Failte Romhat! For all conversation about the Irish language. Scots Gaelic discussion welcome.
Forum rules
The purpose of this forum is to provide a place for people who are interested in the Irish language and various Celtic languages to discuss them, to practice them, and to share information about them, particularly (but not exclusively) in the context of traditional music and culture.

This is not a "translation forum," per se, though translation requests may occasionally be honored at the discretion of the moderators. If you're seeking a one-time translation for something like a tattoo, engraving, wedding vow, or other such purpose, we strongly recommend that you visit our friends at ILF: http://irishlearner.awyr.com
Innocent Bystander
antispam: No

The Epigram Thread

Post by Innocent Bystander »

My Irish is pitiful. But as well as trying to brush it up by fits and starts, I also collect epigrams and pithy phrases in Irish. The first one I ever learned was on an Irish Linen Tea Towel.

Is minic do bris an beal duine a srón.
--- many a time a man's mouth broke his nose.

Is fearr rith maith na droch sheasamh
--- a good run is better than a bad stand.

On a'it bhuil do chroi 'is ann a thabharfas do chose thu
-- your feet will bring you to where your heart is.

Binn béal ina thost
-- the melodious mouth is silent.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
avanutria
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Re: The Epigram Thread

Post by avanutria »

I can't find my Irish Language Bible - not an actual bible but the book in which I wrote all my Oideas Gael lessons - but I have a couple of pages with these great sayings in there. My favourite is a tongue twister which I made into a shirt on Cafepress:

http://www.cafepress.com/anseo
Specifically http://www.cafepress.com/anseo.140340310

...I have the shirt myself but I can't say it very quickly. I think I remember the pronounciation though!
An bhfuil aon dearmad i mo Ghaeilge? Abair mé, le do thoil!
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

I found my OG notes the other day, and couldn't help laughing at them. In level 4 that second week, we were doing "counseling sessions" with one another, and if you didn't know that, seeing what I jotted down might make you think twice about my state of mind! They included translations for "I'm worried about my personal safety," "I'm sick and tired of my children," "My suit itches me," "My job really gets me down," and "9 mm semi-automatic" (!). :lol:

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Redwolf wrote:I found my OG notes the other day, and couldn't help laughing at them. In level 4 that second week, we were doing "counseling sessions" with one another, and if you didn't know that, seeing what I jotted down might make you think twice about my state of mind! They included translations for "I'm worried about my personal safety," "I'm sick and tired of my children," "My suit itches me," "My job really gets me down," and "9 mm semi-automatic" (!). :lol:

Redwolf
Ha. I have a book on learning Irish somewhere; it has increasingly complex imaginary conversations and such in it. There was one such involving a young Irishwoman studying in France - maybe it was a letter home - with commentary about how she couldn't stand the food. :o :lol:

I always remember the seanfhocal, "Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile." Roughly translated, "One beetle recognises another," IOW "Birds of a feather flock together."

Now, check my pronunciation, please (Midwestern U.S. orthography): ANN-ee(uh)nn KEE(uh)-rogue KEE(uh)-rogue ELL-uh.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Pronunciation looks good from here!

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!