Come and Go

Tá Failte Romhat! For all conversation about the Irish language. Scots Gaelic discussion welcome.
Forum rules
The purpose of this forum is to provide a place for people who are interested in the Irish language and various Celtic languages to discuss them, to practice them, and to share information about them, particularly (but not exclusively) in the context of traditional music and culture.

This is not a "translation forum," per se, though translation requests may occasionally be honored at the discretion of the moderators. If you're seeking a one-time translation for something like a tattoo, engraving, wedding vow, or other such purpose, we strongly recommend that you visit our friends at ILF: http://irishlearner.awyr.com
avanutria
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Come and Go

Post by avanutria »

I've been working with some verb flash cards that I made today (yes, I'm a geek) and have discovered that I am OK with most of the irregular verbs except for "come" and "go" - I keep mixing them up. Interestingly, this happens to me in other languages too - Japanese for certain, which I studied a few years ago.

Does anyone have any memory tricks for these two verbs? So far all I have come up with is that the words for "I came" (tháinig mé) and "I saw" (chonaic mé) seem quite similar to me, though I don't yet know whether "I conquered" will complete the set or not.

And if I have messed up tháinig and chonaic in this post I apologise; I don't have my flash cards to hand!
An bhfuil aon dearmad i mo Ghaeilge? Abair mé, le do thoil!
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Come and Go

Post by Redwolf »

I have a similar problem with the past tense of "tog" (take/build) and the past tense of "tabhair" (give/bring)..."thog" and "thug," respectively. Part of my problem is that "bring" and "take" can often be interchanged in English, and that combined with the fact that they sound similar really messes with my head. For example, I never can remember if the line in "An Cailín Rua" is "Thog mé liom í ó bhaile go baile" or "Thug mé liom í ó bhaile go baile" (lest I confuse anyone else, I just looked it up...it's "thug")

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

Oh...and unfortunately, "I conquered" probably won't help you. It's "bhuaigh mé."

I find what helps me with "go" is that I tend to use constructions such as "I go walking with my dog every morning" (Téim ag siúl le mo mhadadh gach maidin) a lot.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
avanutria
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

I can help you with tabhair though...I always remember thug because you would GIVE shomeone a "hug" :P
An bhfuil aon dearmad i mo Ghaeilge? Abair mé, le do thoil!