Irish Gaelic tunes for session music

Tá Failte Romhat! For all conversation about the Irish language. Scots Gaelic discussion welcome.
Forum rules
The purpose of this forum is to provide a place for people who are interested in the Irish language and various Celtic languages to discuss them, to practice them, and to share information about them, particularly (but not exclusively) in the context of traditional music and culture.

This is not a "translation forum," per se, though translation requests may occasionally be honored at the discretion of the moderators. If you're seeking a one-time translation for something like a tattoo, engraving, wedding vow, or other such purpose, we strongly recommend that you visit our friends at ILF: http://irishlearner.awyr.com
ceilingman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play bodhran and am hoping to connect with other musicians online, since there are not many in my small town. Cheers!

Irish Gaelic tunes for session music

Post by ceilingman »

Hi, I've been wanting to learn some Gaelic songs to sing. However, all of the ones I have found so far are pretty slow and don't seem they would fit within the mood of a session. Does anyone have any suggestions for good Gaelic tunes that fiddles/flutes/guitars/ etc can play along with?
Cheers
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: Irish Gaelic tunes for session music

Post by Nanohedron »

A number of dance tunes have lyrics associated with them. A well-known example would be the jig Hag With The Money/Wealthy Widow/Cailleach An Airgid. Lyrics here: https://songsinirish.com/si-mhaimeo-i-lyrics/
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
An Draighean
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Irish Gaelic tunes for session music

Post by An Draighean »

Deartháir don phaidir an port.