It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Forum rules

The purpose of this forum is to provide a place for people who are interested in the Irish language and various Celtic languages to discuss them, to practice them, and to share information about them, particularly (but not exclusively) in the context of traditional music and culture.

This is not a "translation forum," per se, though translation requests may occasionally be honored at the discretion of the moderators. If you're seeking a one-time translation for something like a tattoo, engraving, wedding vow, or other such purpose, we strongly recommend that you visit our friends at ILF: http://irishlearner.awyr.com

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:53 am 

I just ran into seanmháthair, glossed as grandmother, in a novel and it started me pondering indo-european cognate words. The second element is clearly mother/mater/madre/etc., (possibly the 'first' word in indo-european - the literal mother word of the mother tongue). Does the first element (sean~) mean something like old/venerated/senior, which would make it cognate with other IE words like señor/senile/senator, etc? My examples all came through Latin, and I can't think of a good non-latinate germanic example. Do the gaelic languages have a branch of this limb? Is this it?

And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:30 pm 

[Thread revival. - Mod]

I am not a philologist but I've check the wikipedia article Sean (it's about the name) but it's quite interesting anyway. Maybe you will find some clues there.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:56 pm 
Moderatorer

Unfortunately Audrey, the moderator and consultant to this forum, hasn't been around lately. Fortunately there are also other boards on the Web for this sort of thing.

Somehow I missed this thread. There are a lot of Irish words that have much in common with the Latin branch. The Irish "cathaoir" (chair) and the Latin "cathedra" (seat) are evidently related, for one example. The idea that "sean" would have a relationship to the Latin "senator" or "senile" is no stretch at all, I think.

I wouldn't go so far as to place Celtic languages within the Latin branch, however. IIRC their commonalities are held to point to a time before these groups split off from each other, before there were even Latin or Celtic branches.

"An anti-lunacy gadget would be nice..." - Nano

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 7:21 pm 

Nanohedron wrote:
Somehow I missed this thread. There are a lot of Irish words that have much in common with the Latin branch. The Irish "cathaoir" (chair) and the Latin "cathedra" (seat) are evidently related, for one example.

I wouldn't be surprised if that wasn't a borrowing.

Quote:
The idea that "sean" would have a relationship to the Latin "senator" or "senile" is no stretch at all, I think.

No stretch at all! Both the Irish sean and the Latin senex (and therefore, senator) and also Welsh hen derive ultimately from IE *senos. There are sororal words in Sanskrit, Greek, Gothic and Avestan as well.

Quote:
I wouldn't go so far as to place Celtic languages within the Latin branch, however. IIRC their commonalities are held to point to a time before these groups split off from each other, before there were even Latin or Celtic branches.

Indeed not the same branch. They are distinct. Though there are / have been hypotheses that place both the ancestral Celtic and Italic languages in an IE "Italo-Celtic" subgroup together.

-- WhOAD Survivor No. 11373

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:18 pm 

Hi!

Sean-mháthair or Seana mháthair means old mother. Other words we use are Mamó, Nain, Máthair Críona (Wis/Old Mother) and Máthair Mhór (Big Mother) : )