Spoof test?

You can come in here and play around until you get the hang of forum posts. It's unlikely you'll be yelled at.

Can you add a poll after the thread has been replied to?

Yes.
67%
No.
No votes
I'm not going to vote, I'm just going to click the "View Results" button and keep my opinion to myself.
33%
I always view results first so I can choose the right answer.
No votes

Total votes: 3

I.D.10-t
antispam: No

Spoof test?

Post by I.D.10-t »

http://rabidcannibalmarionettes.com

Link to the latex lounge, check.

This completes the feasibility test.
Last edited by I.D.10-t on Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:44 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Nice one. :thumbsup:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

After the warning about a virus that could be put onto your computer by clicking onto a web link, I was wondering if the links could look like one thing and yet send you to another. Using the quote function seems to be the only way to find the real destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Test to see if link can be nested into the Quote function
[color=black]uwf[/color] wrote:Standard Format for a Description Paper

Test to quote Emonicons
:poke: wrote: Ouch! Quit it!
Test to quote images with click through link
All function, check.

As a side note, it would be a bad habit to use the avatar of the person in a quote, because if they change their avatar the link will be broken.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

I.D.10-t wrote:
After the warning about a virus that could be put onto your computer by clicking onto a web link, I was wondering if the links could look like one thing and yet send you to another. Using the quote function seems to be the only way to find the real destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Test to see if link can be nested into the Quote function
[color=black]uwf[/color] wrote:Standard Format for a Description Paper

Test to quote Emonicons
:poke: wrote: Ouch! Quit it!
Test to quote images with click through link
All function, check.

As a side note, it would be a bad habit to use the avatar of the person in a quote, because if they change their avatar the link will be broken.
Good idea, and thanks for playing around with it. It's worth considering, definitely. But as to the links functioning above, it may be case-specific. On my end, neither my wee avatar nor the emoticon provide a link. Also, in order to subvert the info on a link, one would need to provide an enticement to click on it: IOW, one would not normally think to check quote attribution, emoticon, or, in most cases, images (although Denny's made me paranoid about that after all this time :wink: ) for links. You'd need to have a "<----Click Me" sign or something, I'd think. So, if I understand correctly, if one doesn't open a link, there's no problem. Right? Or is there a subtler issue, too, even if the link isn't opened but lies fallow?

I'm not saying there isn't potential for a problem. I just think there would be ways to do it that would be reasonably reliable. Obvious links, yes. Emoticons: I'm not so sure.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

The second half of that post was just for fun in using the quote button (note the caption under the poke quote) and not all of them were links.
[/quote]
It is possible to paste a link with the smile guy. click--->:poke: it is not very useful though unless you want to be silly. Same thing with changing the color of your text to black to cover up the fact that it is a link (something that I do with my signature most of the time).
[/quote]
Now to test water marking
background-color: #EFEFEF
background-color: #DEE3E7

Mostly I am just having fun figuring out what you can do with the limited code that the board recognizes.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

I.D.10-t wrote:Same thing with changing the color of your text to black to cover up the fact that it is a link (something that I do with my signature most of the time).
You sly dog. Somehow I knew I should keep an eye on you. :lol:
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Nanohedron wrote:So, if I understand correctly, if one doesn't open a link, there's no problem. Right? Or is there a subtler issue, too, even if the link isn't opened but lies fallow?
Not than I can think of. I tried to think of what I could do by hiding text using the color function (something I had seen on a book thread to hide spoilers). The only nefarious thing I could think of was to make it difficult to quote me by hiding [/quote] in the text. Annoying, maybe, but nothing harmful. That was my "Watermark test" in the above post. You can clearly see it if you highlight the text.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Okay; I was thinking more along the lines of active links as a way to slip, say, spyware in even if they weren't opened. That's not possible, is it?
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Nanohedron wrote:Okay; I was thinking more along the lines of active links as a way to slip, say, spyware in even if they weren't opened. That's not possible, is it?
Don't think so, if there was such a thing, it would most likely be built into an image (and administraters would find a way to stop that type of exploit quickly). I have not heard of such a thing though.

I am not a softwear security person, Rich would probably know about these things if it was a real concern.
Last edited by I.D.10-t on Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Thanks.
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Well Denny almost wrote that.
Except for all of those links that I have changed.
I prefer Betty Page.
Denny

Post by Denny »

Oh dear!!!

If this is a family forum, it must be the wrong family!
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Denny wrote:Oh dear!!!

If this is a family forum, it must be the wrong family!
Oops, didn't think the photo was over the top.
My apopogies.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

The photo wasn't, but the link lead to some very nice and (IMO) tastefully artistic nudes of Betty (an American Icon in my book). Unfortunately, there are those who would disagree with me and would've let me know such in no uncertain terms... it has happened before, even when the model was appropriately and strategically covered... *sigh*....

I really didn't want to, but I felt I had to edit it out of your post. I apologize for that. :sniffle: