test of message that gave system error

You can come in here and play around until you get the hang of forum posts. It's unlikely you'll be yelled at.
david_h
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: test of message that gave system error

Post by david_h »

It looks like the two full stops are a red herring, I think it's something to do with two new line characters after certain words

In order to get the error we only need to Preview the post, not Submit it. If that means it has not been inserted in to the database then it looks like it's not a problem with the insertion but to do with text processing.

By messing around Previewing things that did and didn't work i got to the stage where a post consisting of:

bad millimetres.

followed by two newline characters as above did preview but substituting the word 'get' for bad' did give the error - and it also gave the error when I tried to put it in this post! I will submit this post whilst the going is good.

I went back and forwards a couple of times using the browser back button to get back to the text box and made changes
david_h

Post by david_h »

Yup, a fresh post consisting of the word 'get' followed by the word 'millimetres' then a full stop and two newlines won't work.

I haven't tried omitting the full stop, or only using one newline and have had enough of this for now (maybe for ever!).

One last thing I'll try is closing the browser in case repeatedly submitting what seems to be a form has built up some 'memory'.
kkrell
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

Code: Select all

bad millimetres.

Can confirm that substituting the word 'get' for 'bad' in the above with 2 line breaks, whatever, blows up with an Internal Server Error. Even if "protected" within the code brackets. For one thing, while extra blank lines and spaces are normally stripped by the message software, they aren't in this instance. Looks to be a pretty specific bug in the forum software, and unlikely to be fixed in the C&F implementation.
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
david_h

Post by david_h »

Changed to a different browser. Still get the error. Also tried it in a code box - still get the error.

I need a beer.

Ah - crossed - be were trynig the same thing!

Is there a rude word filter that could be getting confused? Not that those words are rude but it would be parsing the posts.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

david_h wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 11:15 am Is there a rude word filter that could be getting confused? Not that those words are rude but it would be parsing the posts.
C&F has a word filter, but it simply substitutes Admin-targeted words with a chosen alternative: b-a-s-t-a-r-d (without the hyphens) becomes "basmati", for example. This can sometimes be an annoyance where nothing rude was meant, yet a given word form happens inadvertently to be part of a larger one: the filter will render the historic name Y-o-s-h-i-t-s-u-n-e merely as the semi-bowdlerized form "sh*t" every time, asterisk and all. Not that famous Minamoto scions stand much chance for discussion hereabouts, but as we see, apparently nuance isn't built into the system.

The likelihood that the filter might be parsing posts independent of what's preselected by Admin is highly unlikely, as there's no AI behind it.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

kkrell wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 11:12 am

Code: Select all

bad millimetres.

Can confirm that substituting the word 'get' for 'bad' in the above with 2 line breaks, whatever, blows up with an Internal Server Error. Even if "protected" within the code brackets. For one thing, while extra blank lines and spaces are normally stripped by the message software, they aren't in this instance. Looks to be a pretty specific bug in the forum software, and unlikely to be fixed in the C&F implementation.
This is weird. I have never seen anything like this before ...

I get the error simply by typing 'get millimetres' with just one line space - it doesn't even need two.

:-?

Also, bizarrely, if I type 'get millimetres' followed by a line space, I get the issue, but if I put single inverted commas around the word 'get' I don't get the error. (I haven't tried double inverted commas.)
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

I can confirm that the word 'get' doesn't feature anywhere on the censored words list, which is, in fact, very short*.

* By the way, I particularly like ridiculous substitution for the word 'ρσяиσפядρђψ'.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

I've tried it according to my best understanding, and I'm not getting any results you guys are talking about.

benhall.1 wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 1:00 am* By the way, I particularly like ridiculous substitution for the word 'ρσяиσפядρђψ'.
I'm not 100% certain, but it's likely that I myself may be responsible for that one. You see, one day I'd discovered this thing called a character map, and for a time went crazy using it like this as if to get around the word filter, rendering words in this way as if they were "dodgy" (but actually weren't). The device didn't really work for all readers, though, because when it came to such character substitutions, some just couldn't see the forest for the trees. I seldom do it anymore.

From Admin's end, the word filter has proven more cause for fun than not, Dale himself contributing to most of the silliness; yet it was necessary all the same, for the most part. But why would we bowdlerize such an arguably innocent, matter-of-fact word like "ρσяиσפядρђψ"? Because spelled out in standard form, that and similar forms like "flute pr0n" (here misspelled on purpose) attracted a LOT of spammers and bots in randy kind, like crows on roadkill. It often proved hard to keep up with the salacious onslaught, and the banner ads, while we had them, were getting close to being just as bad. Don't need that here, however you look at it. So we cloaked that sort of thing, got rid of the banner ads which had become generally offensive in any case, and the problem was solved in one fell swoop.

It's not so much that we're priggish (I've been known to swear like a longshoreman in daily life, and my distance from carnal thought is probably a hairsbreadth), but we felt that maintaining a certain unspoiled focus was best for the Board and its health.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

You realise that I meant that I genuinely like that particular substitution, right?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 1:37 pm You realise that I meant that I genuinely like that particular substitution, right?
Oh, totally. I'd just forgotten that it was there, and I thought an explanation to the membership wasn't the worst thing to do. :)
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Nanohedron wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:00 pm
benhall.1 wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 1:37 pm You realise that I meant that I genuinely like that particular substitution, right?
Oh, totally. I'd just forgotten that it was there, and I thought an explanation to the membership wasn't the worst thing to do. :)
:thumbsup:

Another cracker is "Oh, my goodness! What in the world?" :lol:
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

benhall.1 wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:24 pm
Nanohedron wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2023 2:00 pm
:thumbsup:

Another cracker is "Oh, my goodness! What in the world?" :lol:
That was all Dale. A very Southern US translation of the original. :)
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Testing for another reason