FS: 1930's KAY 3/4 Upright Bass SOLD

A gated retirement community for expired posts, owned and operated by ChiffCo.
anniemcu
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

FS: 1930's KAY 3/4 Upright Bass SOLD

Post by anniemcu »

FOR SALE - 3/4 KAY UPRIGHT BASS - 1930's - $1500 OBO

3/4 size, has been repaired, and is good and solid. Not the prettiest up close, but with a very good sound, stays in tune well, projects and plays well. Rosewood tail-piece and fingerboard. Neck has never been broken, as far as I can tell. The peg head scroll is fully carved, not glued on. Adjustable bridge, and decent strings.

Honest description of the flaws: the double line purfling is just printed on. Top was removed in 2006 or 7, a thin pad was placed on the inside of the back to support the new sound post, and there are a few drips around the top/side joint where glue dried. There is a seam just beneath the neck across the top front where the repairman cut it. The edges are a bit rough, from being without a case for its entire life, the front and back complexion is "weathered", and a few small pieces of the top layer of ply are missing on the back. The thumb screw for the end-pin height adjustment has long been broken off, but the shaft is good, and is set at a medium height.

She's a well worn old gal, but she's got a great voice, a load of great playing still to do, and is ready to go. Photos on request. No case, stand, or bow included. Has been played pretty regularly for most of the 25 years I've had her.

Located near Quincy, Illinois, approximately 100 miles North of St. Louis, MO, 200 miles East of Kansas City, MO.

PRICE: $1500. (If it was in good cosmetic shape, this bass would go for at least twice that, but it wouldn't sound any better!)

Reason for selling: I have finally located another 1/2 size bass, and am buying that.

Please PM me with any questions.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
anniemcu
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis