FS: 5key Olwell boxwood Nicholson SOLD

A gated retirement community for expired posts, owned and operated by ChiffCo.
RudallRose

FS: 5key Olwell boxwood Nicholson SOLD

Post by RudallRose »

If you've seen the Olwell documentary that Jem Moore and Blayne Chastain produced, then you've seen this flute.
It is a custom-made flute, not off the rack. The wood is Turkish boxwood with flame graining and infused with linseed oil by Pat using a very novel special technique to resist cracking.
The embouchure is an elliptical cut that gives a very nice growl, which Pat copied from an Eb flute that was his personal instrument.
The bore is Olwell's Nicholson model and the fittings are sterling, with a sterling tuning slide.
The keys are: right-hand Bb, G#, long- and short-F, Eb. (I do not use the long C key, preferring cross-fingerings that are way faster and more practical). There is no left-hand thumb touch to the Bb key, which is set in the position where you would normally see the C key.
The LongF is slightly longer than normal (short left pinky finger) and the shortF is clipped on one side to prevent accidental venting (thick finger syndrome).
The case is the fitted Windward cases that Pat gives, not the one in the photo.
The flute has three distinct areas of "Nicholson excavation" work that Pat copied from original flutes I provided to him: the left-hand crook copied from an original boxwood Rudall & Rose that I had; a right-hand thumb nook, copied off an original Clementi-Nicholson; flattened top to holes 4-5-6 copied from the same Clementi-Nicholson. I have photos of these flute parts when I shipped them to Pat.
I waited 10 years for this boxwood flute. That was about 8 or so years ago. Pat did his customary amazing job, as you'd expect.
The flute is as pristine as the day it arrived, has been oiled as needed and kept in a perfect place for flutes. It's only been played moderately, and nearly not at all for a few years (save for oiling time).
Why selling? If you know me, I have a cocus keyed Olwell (Pratten model) with the same custom features that I waited an additional 2 years to get and it is my primary session flute.
This one, as wonderfully as it plays, has stayed mostly in the box, and that's a shame. But it is still loved.
Olwell keyed flutes garner as much as $11,000+ on eBay, where more than $1,000 gets sucked up by the eBay fee machine, which is a waste of money for all of us.
Serious inquiries only, please. PMs are preferred.
My list price: $8,500.

https://scontent-den4-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=603CAAA5

https://scontent-den4-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=603D091A
RudallRose

Re: FS: 5key Olwell boxwood Nicholson

Post by RudallRose »

SOLD