FS: Boxwood keyed Olwell

A gated retirement community for expired posts, owned and operated by ChiffCo.
RudallRose

FS: Boxwood keyed Olwell

Post by RudallRose »

I am selling my keyed boxwood Olwell flute, the one many of you saw in the documentary about Pat, "The Keymaster."

This is a custom-made flute, not one off the rack. I waited 10 years for it.

It is a 5key flute (Bb, G#, long/short Fs, Eb). There is no C key (I never use them) and the Bb is a left-hand touch located where the C would be. (could Pat add a C key? He added a long F to a flute of his that I thought needed one and the work is flawless, with inlaid blocks that you cannot even see how he did it.)

It is Turkish boxwood that Pat hand-picked for me with lovely flame grain color. It is infused with boiled linseed oil to help prevent drying and cracking. It is Pat's method of making superior flutes.
The keys are sterling, as are the rings and the tuning slide.

There is ALSO ergonomics hand-cut into the flute of the Nicholson style: Left-hand impression, right-hand thumb impression and flattened right-hand tone holes. Each of these was modeled after an original that I sent to Pat when it was being made. The left-hand from an original Rudall & Rose; The right-hand from an original Nicholson Clementi.

The embouchure cut is a very special one that had been Pat's personal favorite on an Eb flute of his that I own (and referred to as "God's flute" in the documentary). The embouchure is perfect in every way.

It is of the Nicholson bore, and is exceedingly powerful in tone and clarity. His Prattens are amazing; but his Nicholson flutes, in my opinion, are superior in every way. Comes in the fitted Windward case.

This flute would very easily be one of Pat's yearly birthday flutes that he sells on eBay each year. Those reach as high as $10,000 or more. A rare gold-keyed/gold-ringed flute of his recently went for $14,000.

I'm asking for $8,000 for this very rare and exclusive flute.

Why sell? I am looking to help fund a new business and this is a small part of that effort. Also, I have other flutes of Pat's, including another custom-made, that I simply play much more. I don't love this flute any less; I simply don't reach for it as frequently as the others.
Send me a personal email at dmigoya at msn dot com.

I can offer photos, videos, sound clips, whatever you'd like.