FS: C.S. Barfoot antique boxwood flute SOLD

A gated retirement community for expired posts, owned and operated by ChiffCo.
Steve Bliven
antispam: No

FS: C.S. Barfoot antique boxwood flute SOLD

Post by Steve Bliven »

Over the years I've collected a number of flutes while trying to find the "right" one for me. Now it's time to move along some of those that have stayed during the process.

Offered here is an antique, 4-key, boxwood flute from C.S. Barfoot. Made in England somewhere between 1820–1843 (based on Langwell index), it plays nicely at 440. Refurbished in 2015 with new leather pads, thread tenon wrappings and head cork. It comes with a plastic pistol case that provides great protection.

There are two sealed cracks in the head joint that have been stable for at least three years. The rings and cap are ivory (so I can't ship outside the US). The bottom ring was lost at some point and has been replaced by one of moose antler that blends nicely (the color blends with the other rings better than is represented in the photo). The ring at the base of the head joint apparently cracked and has been reinforced by a brass band. The original ivory is still there, under the brass, and could potentially be repaired for aesthetic reasons.

It plays with a nice, clear voice but might not not cut through a large session (unless you're a very strong player). However, I've played it in a small setting with fiddle and pipes and they can hear it well enough to tell me each time I mess up.

The keys are brass and work well. The pads seal nicely on metal lined tone holes.

For some additional (but dated) information check here and scroll down.

Offered at $425 shipped (again, can't ship outside US because of the materials). Here's a chance to get a good-playing, keyed flute that is a piece of history as well at a pretty low price.

Contact me via either PM or email using the buttons below.

Thanks for your interest.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
Steve Bliven

Re: FS: C.S. Barfoot antique boxwood flute-Price reduced

Post by Steve Bliven »

Time for a bump and a price reduction. $400 shipped in US.

Thanks for looking.

Best wishes.

Steve
Steve Bliven

Re: FS: C.S. Barfoot antique boxwood flute

Post by Steve Bliven »

The Barfoot flute has been sold. Thanks to those who showed interest.

Best wishes.

Steve