FS: Rare 8 Key Firth and Hall Flute

A gated retirement community for expired posts, owned and operated by ChiffCo.
TimPiazza
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

FS: Rare 8 Key Firth and Hall Flute

Post by TimPiazza »

I am seeking a new custodian for this fine, Firth and Hall flute that has been in my possession for the past decade. The photos I hope will speak for themselves. This instrument has been played and appreciated by Grey Larsen, Christopher Layer, and Skip Healy. In 2009 Skip said that he vouches for its originality and authenticity. His comment was that its condition is excellent, a status that has not changed due to my care in a humidity controlled and monitored environment. Skip also commented that this flute is for an expert level player, not for a beginner or intermediate. It does not have the big sound of a session instrument, it is rather sweet, and best enjoyed in a concert or solo setting. At some point the intonation was adjusted, I believe the work was done by Ralph Sweet of Sweetheart Flutes, according to the person I purchased this instrument from.

As for condition, the only issues are minor and do not impact playability in the least. There is some light surface cracking in the head joint, they appear worse in the photos than they do in person, but that is because I wanted to show them and used bright lighting. The head joint is brass lined, there is no air leakage. There is a crack in one of the ivory rings, also on the head joint. This is visible in the photography. One of the pin blocks is chipped, though remains completely serviceable. I was tempted to repair this, but was advised against it due to the historic value of this instrument.

Firth and Hall were in business under this name between 1821 and 1832. My asking price is $1,875.00 plus shipping to USA only. My apologies to the rest of the world, but CITES makes international trade on these instruments a risky business, even after going through the months of paperwork, permits, and inspections.

If you would like more detailed photos, please contact me, and I will send them by email.

I am listing a number of instruments collected over the past 30 years to fund the purchase of equipment needed for a new business. Once I reach my goal, all unsold instruments will be pulled from sale.