FS: restored antique 6 key French flute - with video

A gated retirement community for expired posts, owned and operated by ChiffCo.
LorenzoFlute
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

FS: restored antique 6 key French flute - with video

Post by LorenzoFlute »

Hi all,

I have for sale an old French flute in cocuswood (or rosewood) with 6 nickel silver keys, made in the second half of 19th century, marked “B. VERDEAU / ST. ANTOINE (GIRONDE)” on three sections, serial number “28”.
It´s ready to play: pads and corks are new, crack on barrel and footjoint are professionally fixed. Tenons are metal lined and barrel is fully lined. End cap was damaged and has been reshaped. Top ring is missing.
The hole under the F natural key has been remodeled, as the angle of the key didn´t allow a reliable cover from the pad. You won´t notice anything unless you remove the key.

It has a half lined headjoint which, together with the small holes, gives a lovely smooth woody tone. The relatively delicate sound doesn´t make it ideal for noisy Irish music sessions, but it´s perfect for smaller sessions and solo playing, and of course for Classical music.

It was likely built with a pitch of A=435hz in mind but it can be played at 440hz with barely noticeable intonation differences (according to my tuner) with the tuning slide opened just a few mm. The small holes allow to use Baroque fingering. F# as expected is quite flat and needs some venting and/or lipping to be in good tuning especially on slower tunes (on request I can correct the tuning of this note, but the forked Baroque fingering for F natural will sound sharper). As usual A is slightly sharp, but in general intonation is good.

Asking price is 480 euros which includes shipping. Comes without case.

Here is a video (I´m not venting the F# with the keys as I´m not used to do it): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qr9X7j5aOOk

And some pictures:

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image

Image Image
Antique 6 key French flute for sale: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=102436

youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/LorenzoFlute