This is an experiment.

Post notices here for used instruments: Wanted and for sale
Forum rules
Please do not post replies, questions or comments in this forum. They will be deleted without warning.

Contact posters directly by PM or e-mail.

Please read the FORUM RULES before posting.

Thank you!

MTGuru
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: This is an experiment.

Post by MTGuru »

Cork wrote:Now I'm confused, and let me refer to an 04 Feb '09 post by latticino, which refers to the eBay sale of a McGee flute, and which had been transferred from the Flute Forum to this very forum
No, you've got it backwards. That eBay sale was originally posted HERE in this forum, then transferred OUT of this forum TO the flute forum because it was not a direct offer.

That's what the "Moved" tag means, and it was retained as a courtesy to the poster.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Cork

Post by Cork »

MTGuru wrote:
Cork wrote:Now I'm confused, and let me refer to an 04 Feb '09 post by latticino, which refers to the eBay sale of a McGee flute, and which had been transferred from the Flute Forum to this very forum
No, you've got it backwards. That eBay sale was originally posted HERE in this forum, then transferred OUT of this forum TO the flute forum because it was not a direct offer.

That's what the "Moved" tag means, and it was retained as a courtesy to the poster.
Aha! Now I understand, thank you. I had thought that the above transfer from the Flute Forum was simply a one-way transfer, not that the eBay offer had originated on this forum and had subsequently been transferred to the Flute Forum, to then return here.

My error likely could have to do with the relative "newness" of this forum, and please forgive my ignorance.

However, apparently the eBay McGee flute offer remains on this forum, so I remain confused by your statement that this forum could be exclusive to C&F members.

And, perhaps eventually the ratio of C&F member offers to other offers could warrant a segregation of such offers, for the reason I mentioned.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Cork wrote:However, apparently the eBay McGee flute offer remains on this forum, so I remain confused by your statement that this forum could be exclusive to C&F members.
What you're seeing is a "shadow" topic that we can leave as a pointer when a thread is moved to a different forum. The "Moved" tag means that the actual thread is no longer here. It went that-a-way. In fact, if you click on the "Moved:FS:McGee Flute" title and then check the forum, you'll find yourself in the Flute Forum, not here.

It's just a courtesy now because the forum is new.

Cork

Post by Cork »

So, if FS/FT offers are in general not currently allowed on other, "music interest" forums, and, if the Used Instruments Exchange forum is exclusive to C&F members, does that mean there could be no place for an eBay offer, or any other such similar third party offers, to be posted?

BTW, while I have little to do with eBay, et al, I recognize that others apparently do have an interest in such offers.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Cork wrote:FS/FT offers are in general not currently allowed on other, "music interest" forums
No, they're allowed. What gave you the idea that they're not?
Dale wrote:For now, it's ok to post such notices both here and on the other forums. Please don't post to more than two forums when buying or looking for a used instrument.
viewtopic.php?p=867953&f=35#p867953

Cork

Post by Cork »

MTGuru wrote:
Cork wrote:FS/FT offers are in general not currently allowed on other, "music interest" forums
No, they're allowed. What gave you the idea that they're not?
I'd say that my earlier confusion in this matter began last week with the eBay McGee flute post on the Flute Forum, in my noticing that its topic icon had been marked as "moved", although its icon no longer appears to be so marked, and which caused me to think that the eBay post had been moved away from the Flute Forum. Then, I "discovered" this forum, and noticed that the same eBay post was here and was also marked as "moved", which confirmed my impression that it had been moved away from the Flute Forum, and hence my thinking that eBay, et al, posts were apparently not allowed on forums such as the Flute Forum.

However, I now have a much clearer understanding of the new arrangement, thank you.

BTW, next time, please quote me in full, as your truncation of my earlier post changed a conditional statement into an absolute statement, which I did not make.
Berti66
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Berti66 »

I think this new forum is a great idea.........but to make the experiment a success........why then aren't the other instruments for sale not moved over to this new forum so we have everything together.....

berti
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Well, Berti, that may happen. But for now it's still an ... experiment. :)

Loren
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

I am glad to see this at least being tried out.

A couple of suggestions:

1) Make price listing in all ads mandatory. Allowing people to post with no specified price and merely saying "Make me an offer" is problematic for a number of reasons and is typically not allowed on other message boards that have successful FS Forums.

2) With regards to bumping to prevent expiration, better to simply require sellers to wait until an ad has expired, then repost if needed. The exception being a price change, or notification of condition change, eg. "This post is to notify potential buyers that I just noticed a ding in the whistle which is not in the original description", etc.

Best,

Loren
Makar

Post by Makar »

My wife will be particularly unhappy about this development...

where I was once only exposed to whistle sales, the only place I really roam, I am now exposed to things like gaidas and bansuris. My inquisitive nature will lead me to wiki them and then the compulsion to try will overcome. This is crass marketing...but I like it.
There is no such uncertainty as a sure thing!
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

Cork wrote:......
BTW, next time, please quote me in full, as your truncation of my earlier post changed a conditional statement into an absolute statement, which I did not make.

Hi Cork.
I understand why you got confused.
I understand also why you have made this request.
However, more importantly, I understand the supportive spirit
that drives your participation in this topic.

Thanks once again.
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

A wedge of cheese has been sitting next to the new posts icon for this topic. No other topic heading has anything like this. I've try to wipe it off my computer screen, thinking that maybe it was leftover from last night's snacking, but that doesn't work. What's it doing there? As you can tell my concern, this has been one of those afternoons, and waiting in line at the post office didn't help matters either
Denny

Post by Denny »

nothing like waiting at the PO....

the "wedge of cheese" is to note the presence of a subforum (Sold and Old)