FS: blackwood Doyle flute w/ 6 keys by Maurice Reviol SOLD

A gated retirement community for expired posts, owned and operated by ChiffCo.
marshwren
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I [try to] play Irish traditional music on the flute. Other activities include bicycling, knitting, walking, cartoon watching, novel reading, and language learning.

FS: blackwood Doyle flute w/ 6 keys by Maurice Reviol SOLD

Post by marshwren »

For sale: blackwood flute by Martin Doyle with tuning slide and six keys by Maurice Reviol

Hi everyone—I’m looking to sell my keyed flute. It came to me several years ago as a really lovely example of Martin Doyle’s keyless two-piece flutes, and between then and now I sent it off to Maurice Reviol for a tuning slide and six silver-plated keys. A classic combination—if you’ve ever looked at the OAIM flute videos, Kirsten Allstaff plays one set up like this in some of the earlier videos (albeit with a slightly different arrangement of the G-sharp and long F-natural keys). It’s a great flute and a real blast to play. I’m selling it mostly because I could really use the money, but also because I’ve realized I gravitate toward a somewhat different kind of flute.

As mentioned above, it’s made of blackwood, with silver rings and silver-plated post-mounted keys, with a Boehm-style E-flat touch. Intonation is for the most part excellent, although I find the oXXooo C-natural very sharp, which from what I’ve heard isn’t usually that much of an issue for Doyles. Maybe it’s a peculiarity of this particular flute, or the way I play, I’m not sure—the keyed C-natural is bang-on, however, and oXXXXo gives a slightly veiled but very in-tune C-natural as well. The keys seal without any problems, and they’re comfortable to use. Because the flute has a one-piece body, you don’t have the option of rolling the foot-joint out to get the E-flat key out of the way—it was a little tricky for me for a few days, but I adjusted without any really trouble and I don’t really notice it anymore. Would be great if you want to get into the habit of venting for some reason! But it’s not too much of a hassle even if you just want to use it for those occasional E-flats.

This would be a great instrument for anyone that wants a really solid, compact flute with easy-to-use keywork, that can play delicately but also really boom when you want it to. I’m looking for 1900 USD for it, which would be inclusive of shipping within the continental US. Because of all the complexities of international shipping and so on right now, I’d prefer a domestic buyer, but if this is your dream flute and you live elsewhere, we’ll see if we can work something out. A plastic hard-shell case with foam interior is included. If you want to see photographs or if you have any questions, don’t hesitate to get in touch with me. Thanks!
marshwren
Tell us something.: I [try to] play Irish traditional music on the flute. Other activities include bicycling, knitting, walking, cartoon watching, novel reading, and language learning.

Re: FS: blackwood Doyle flute w/ 6 keys by Maurice Reviol

Post by marshwren »

I'm reducing the price to $1750, which would include shipping within the continental US. Message me or email for photos or questions! It's a good flute; a good amount of hand-wringing was involved in the decision to sell it.
marshwren

Post by marshwren »

sale pending!
marshwren

Post by marshwren »

Thank you to everyone who's gotten in touch with me about the flute! It is now SOLD.