It is currently Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:01 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2020 7:38 am 

Chris Wilkes restored 8-key flute. Wide silver bands, silver keys.

I am selling my Chris Wilkes restored and modified block-mounted mid-19th. C. 8-key blackwood flute. Chris Wilkes did “a world of work to this flute” (to quote him) over the years. Wilkes made a new head joint, tuning barrel, and first section. I was told that he also made the long F key.

The C/C# keys are stamped AL, as shown, for Alexander Liddle, who worked with and for Rudall-Rose, Metzler, et. al., and who made such flutes as this one. It plays beautifully, with power and perfect intonation. It is perfectly suited to players of traditional Irish music. The flute has been well maintained since the restoration--always oiled and humidified. The sterling-silver engraved wide bands are original. The silver keys work well, and the pads and blocks are in excellent condition. There are no cracks or splits or warps. There are some minor chips on the lower foot joint blocks but the blocks are perfectly intact and functional. The C and C# keys work smoothly and precisely. The flute needs nothing to be done to it.

The flute will come in a bespoke $400 leather-covered Northwind case. The case itself is a work of art: traditional French style case, made of basswood, covered by hand with the finest kidskin leather, lined with plush velvet, and designed to fit a particular instrument. It will itself come in a protective zippered case cover.

This is not a fire sale. It isn't easy for me to sell this flute. The bargain is that it is great flute, in perfect condition, rarely offered, with no exaggerated wait time. The price is comparable to a new 8-key flute from a major maker. Or you can make an offer and hope for the best.

Thanks for inquiring.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image