WTB: Christmas Flute

A gated retirement community for expired posts, owned and operated by ChiffCo.
thaneydesign
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

WTB: Christmas Flute

Post by thaneydesign »

/crossposted from the flute forum; it was suggested that I post here, so here it goes.../ A blessing and a curse! I'm the sloooooowest shopper when it comes to big purchases and really like to take a lot of time to explore my options, but I seem to have been presented with the opportunity to have one by Christmas, should I so choose....

So I think the budget is probably going to top out at $400 USD. I'd throw in a bit on top of that myself if it'd make a difference, but I'm already living the Ramen Life. I have a lot of college debt and would like to return to seminary for grad school, which isn't a cheap endeavor, either.

The McNeela cocuswood flute was pointed out to me, and is the one the BF is encouraging, and I do like the way it sounds in videos, but with few exceptions (mostly hailing from Pakistan, etc), there's somebody that can play any flute. I've also read the threads on here and on The Session about how these flutes are likely to be reworked Pakistani flutes. I haven't decided how I feel about this. If these flutes are holding up well and I can produce a nice sound on it,
I'm probably okay. (One plus of McKneela's website is that he does accept returns within a short period.)

We are both viewing this as a flute for me to start on, rather than what I'd ultimately hope to end up with. I have trouble thinking this way; I'd rather start putting money away now for my dream flute (and get nothing for Christmas for a few years) than do this "intermediate flute" thing, but I know different people have different philosophies...

things I think would be nice
(which I recognize can be rather unlikely given the budget)
- pratten, I think
- dark color
- african blackwood
- maybe delrin? Tried some that I liked.
- bigger finger holes, particularly the low D
- being able to have keys to play Bb and maybe Eb would be a dream come true (I do almost as much sacred music as ITM)
- I found flutes by Olwell and Copley both lovely and very playable. Obviously far out of the price range but figured I'd add that since they did work well without much struggle for me, maybe someone will be able to point me down a good path...

things I don't care for
(obviously being able to produce a nice tone is again the priority)
- very small finger holes, particularly no low D that is too tiny; I have trouble finding them.
- if all else is equal, I would rather the flute be reddish (fiddle-colored) or black, but of course everything about sound/tone/playability is more important than this
- cheap-looking metalwork

I'm a little nervous about this too because I have the Olwell Bamboo flute and actually use it in worship enough because gosh I love the tone, but it rarely hits the sessions with me because I'm just too slow on it... and that's nobody's fault but my own. I've been the one struggling to find the motivation to put in enough time on it. It's a lovely instrument with a really full, deep, wonderful tone, and I hold it back; it doesn't hold me back. I feel like I should just stick with that maybe. My fear is that if we don't find enough of what I care for in whatever we get, it'll take a back burner to my silver flute and I won't put in the time needed to get good on it.

...but I've been wanting an Irish flute for so long! Even as a kid, I wanted one.... and now there's this chance...