Help me tune the forums

Board policies and official announcements about Chiff and Fipple and the forums. Please read!
rich
i see what you did there
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by rich »

I've been forced to come to the conclusion lately that the bulletin-board software we're using doesn't match that well with the size of the message board.

This shouldn't cause any problems for those of you who login to read and reply to the last day or week's post, but it does mean that searching the archives of the board (not the archives of Coolboard, but the old posts here) has been causing excessive load on the server that's hosting the board. Some of you may have noticed this when your searches timed out.

Until I can get some more RAM in, I've put some limits in place on how much CPU time and memory individual requests can take. The idea is to minimize inconvenience, so I want to tune them to allow as much normal usage as possible. (The other day, someone searched the entire archive for "whistle". Not normal!).

If, in the next little while, you're presented by an error telling you that whatever you had just done took up too much memory or execution time, please drop me mail at <a href="webmaster@mati.ca">webmaster@mati.ca</a> letting me know what you were doing when you saw the message.

Thanks,
<ul>-Rich</ul>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rich on 2002-10-07 01:31 ]</font>