Forum upgrade, new URL, and Rich says farewell

Board policies and official announcements about Chiff and Fipple and the forums. Please read!
NancyF
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Forum upgrade, new URL, and Rich says farewell

Post by NancyF »

I just logged on after, I see, over two years of being distracted from whistles. Thanks Rich for all your work.

Nancy F
Azalin
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Azalin »

I'd just like to say I'm a bit disapointed with the way phpBB handles email addresses. After reading some of Devondancer's posts about receiving loads of junk mails, I was about to tell them that it was probably not harvested from phpBB as most recent systems obfuscate email addresses with some Javascript so that it can't be harvested... well I just checked to make sure... and nope, the email is there, completely, with a "maito:myemail@address.com", so any registered user can launch a harvester program and collect all emails.

I'm wondering if there's a patch or feature on phpBB to use such a technique, or else, I would strongly suggest that it becomes strongly suggested not to put your email address on the site, or to use some invalide stuff in it yourself (although I'd rather not allow the feature, because lot of people don't understand how/what to do).
Denny

Post by Denny »

this is not new Az.

it is why mine is not shown
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

I mean, phpBB 3 is relatively new, it's mind blowing an obfuscator wasnt added. I could modify the board quickly and add an obfuscator so that emails can't get harvested if the owner would like me to.
Denny

Post by Denny »

well, they don't seem to share your concern. :)

I did not see a mod for that. (I searched on email & paged through all of them. I also looked at the most requested lists (by download & by rating)

It seems to me that if someone was making a new release the most requested modifications would be worth considering incorporating into the new release.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

The built-in phpBB solution is a global setting to replace the the mailto: address display with a webmail form similar to PM that forwards mail via the Chiffboard server instead. Given the resource problems we already have, we're not sure this is a good idea for the moment.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

Am I the only one that thinks that the soft powder blue on the list of topics is hard to read?
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

I haven't read the entire thread, but:

The forum sometimes throws me out with no apparent reason. Each time I log in, I hit the "Log me on automatically each visit" box and then it works for some time, i.e. a week or a few days, but sometimes I have to re-login several times a day, today for example. Any ideas what's going on? Others here with the same issue?