Use of the word "P0RN" for display of pics of inst

Board policies and official announcements about Chiff and Fipple and the forums. Please read!
Henke
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Henke »

P0RN, very easy. Not if you write it as you usually would though, lichen. You figure it out
GaryKelly
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by GaryKelly »

Martin Milner wrote:Hiw did the word in the title slip through the filter? Is the filter case sensitive?
Hiw? By replacing the 'o' with a zero, 0. Thus p0rn works. Well, it does for some people anyway.
Image "It might be a bit better to tune to one of my fiddle's open strings, like A, rather than asking me for an F#." - Martin Milner
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

Dale wrote:There seems to be some question about why, of the entire range of possibilities, I would have selected the word "lichen." This is your opportunity to explain my behavior to me because, frankly, I don't have a clue.
Lost photo - never mind.
Last edited by dwinterfield on Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chrisoff

Post by chrisoff »

Martin Milner wrote:Hiw did the word in the title slip through the filter? Is the filter case sensitive?
The O is a zero.

I've just read this thread through and my mind is very confused. Mainly because of all the points where people haven't altered the word p0rn and it's been replaced with lichen. So now everyone seems to be talking about lichen being replaced with itself.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Cynth wrote:Then as people started responding, we grasped that apparently people were using the word "lichen" for these photos, even though we had never noticed it. And so, although relieved to find that Dale wasn't going crazy, we then started thinking we were going crazy for not having noticed this.
Relax, Cynth. It's just a burger. Topped with lichen.
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

fearfaoin wrote:
Cynth wrote:Then as people started responding, we grasped that apparently people were using the word "lichen" for these photos, even though we had never noticed it. And so, although relieved to find that Dale wasn't going crazy, we then started thinking we were going crazy for not having noticed this.
:lol: :lol: :lol: I forgot about the new philosophy!
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

fearfaoin wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol: I forgot about the new philosophy!
chrisoff wrote:I've just read this thread through and my mind is very confused. Mainly because of all the points where people haven't altered the word p0rn and it's been replaced with lichen. So now everyone seems to be talking about lichen being replaced with itself
:lol: :lol: Exactly. See, at first it was incongruous, irrational, absurd. The idea of replacing the word "lichen" with "lichen". There's just no connection there. Definitely disturbing. Like:
"Salvador Dalí, Lobster Telephone, 1936, plastic, painted plaster and mixed media, 17.8 x 33.0 x 17.8 cm, Tate Gallery, London. This sculpture is a classic example of the Surrealist practice of juxtaposing otherwise unrelated everyday items. The Surrealists valued the mysterious and provocative effect of such incongruities. Dalí believed that his objects expressed the secret desires of the unconscious, and that lobsters and telephones reveal the prominence of the sexuality."
http://www.artlex.com/ArtLex/s/surrealism.html

Then, when the computer makes it look like you are replacing a word with itself! So then it isn't incongruous but very definitely confusing and disorienting. It is ABSURD!!!! That is why it is so funny. It is totally insane, irrational. It is the ultimate non-sense. We should enjoy these situations when they come up :lol: !

I don't mean to be suggesting that the idea of replacing "lichen" with "lichen" was crazy because it wasn't. It solved a problem. But the idea just happened to lend itself beautifully to absurdity when it was discussed.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
ned o the hill

Post by ned o the hill »

"Salvador Dalí, Lobster Telephone, 1936, plastic, painted plaster and mixed media, 17.8 x 33.0 x 17.8 cm, Tate Gallery, London.
Hey! I thought this thread was about "p0rn," not "prawn...."

Reminds me of Maxwell Smart's old nemesis, the "Craw."
(¯¯[]¯¯¯¯ ((¯¯¯¯¯¯¯o¯O¯o¯O¯O¯o¯¯¯¯)

Go gcoinní Dia i mbosa a láimhe thú

Ned o' the Hill
Low Whistler and Goat Whacker
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

The internet is for lichen?
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

AHA! Months and months later, I finally get to the bottom of why there are no pictures of various bore fungi and/or mosses in the Flute Lichen thread.

I'm so disappointed.

(And I'm so slow on the uptake!)
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.
Denny

Post by Denny »

so ... ah ... you're slow ... and ... ah ... you have no moss? Image
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

Good point, edited out, feel free to change my quote below.
Last edited by I.D.10-t on Sun May 27, 2007 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

I.D.10-t wrote:Why do I want a bumpersticer that says “lichen is not lichen!”
That would make a most cool bumpersticker in the best Dada tradition.

But what I want to know is, now that I see the cutesie way you got past the word filter, how does that affect our "friends" the spambots? :really:

After all, it's the moderators that have to do the cleanup, in case you care.

Never mind that: the question of fouling one's nest comes to mind. In case anyone cares.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

See above.

I was wondering if I could do something without considering whether I should.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
Denny

Post by Denny »

the bots will have the same issues as the lichen filter...

Well if you can not do something
does it matter if you should not do it?