New Policy: Cutting & pasting copyrighted material

Board policies and official announcements about Chiff and Fipple and the forums. Please read!
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

New Policy: Cutting & pasting copyrighted material

Post by Dale »

On two different occasions, I have had to respond to authors whose works have been reproduced without permission on Chiff & Fipple related websites. Happily, both cases worked out well. But, I've done some light reading on fair use and copyrights and message boards and it leaves me with the impression that I'm at some risk when we copy the text of articles from other publications and paste them on these forums. So, if you find something copyrighted that you want to share with others, please provide an external link to the piece, rather than cutting and pasting it.

Thanks,

Dale
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Can we cut an paste if we also provide a link or source?
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Cynth

Post by Cynth »

Tyghress wrote:Can we cut an paste if we also provide a link or source?
Where the heck was this thread? :lol: Tyghress, Dale posted this same announcement here:
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... highlight= .
Maybe you've already found it. There is more discussion. From what Dale said at the other thread, we are not to cut and paste whole articles which are under copyright even if we give the source. He will still get in trouble for that. We can quote little bits from those articles and give the source. Sort of like when you write a paper, you wouldn't include a whole article by someone else in it, but you might quote a couple of sentences and give the source. This is just my interpretation.
Diligentia maximum etiam mediocris ingeni subsidium. ~ Diligence is a very great help even to a mediocre intelligence.----Seneca
I.D.10-t
antispam: No

Post by I.D.10-t »

Seems like a smart move, I wonder how other boards handle it.

I also wonder what license you have decided to place your own writings under
(your whistle site is a wealth of knowledge)
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."