NEW POLICY: MENTAL HEALTH AND MEDICAL POSTS

Board policies and official announcements about Chiff and Fipple and the forums. Please read!
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

NEW POLICY: MENTAL HEALTH AND MEDICAL POSTS

Post by Dale »

Dear Friends,

I've got an uncomfortable problem as the owner of this board which I'm going to try to explain and then ask for your understanding as I create a new policy for the board.

We all now know that communities develop on the web that allow for a kind of mutual support, information-sharing and other good stuff. We could debate the wisdom of that, but we all know it's here and not going away.

Threads about mental health and medical topics make me uncomfortable. First, it's not really where people need to go with this category of problems. People can give good advice and people can give crappy advice. Sometimes there's a lot at stake.

If someone is ill and seeking support, and not advice, I think it's fine to post. But, inevitably, some people are going to start chiming in with advice. It's perfectly understandable and even laudable, but it needs to go to email.

The best way to avoid this is to respectfully insist that people not post about mental health topics, in particular, and not ask for or give advice on medical topics in general.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best,

Dale