Posting Policies: On Civility

Board policies and official announcements about Chiff and Fipple and the forums. Please read!
Dale
The Landlord
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Posting Policies: On Civility

Post by Dale »

Due to a recent flurry of controversy about the role of moderation on these forums, it occurs to me that it might be helpful to make as explicit as possible what has been a long-standing practice on this board. The owner(s) and moderators of this board insist that those who post do so with reasonably good manners, consideration of the feelings of others, and maintenance of civility. This includes refraining from personal attacks and unnecessariliy harsh language. Disagreement may certainly be expressed, but good manners are required.

From time-to-time, a member of the board will complain that the forum moderators do not allow negative opinions to be expressed here. This would include negative reviews of musical instruments, recordings, performances, etc. It is true that we ask people to refrain from attack. It is NOT true that this makes it impossible, or even difficult, to express a negative opinion. In order to illustrate this, I have used the following example (to the irritation of many):
...(Some maintain) they can't say negative or critical things on the board. I say again: This is not the case. At the risk of being patronizing, which is not my intention, let me demonstrate (again).

"I do not like Pepsi. It think the bubbles are disagreeable and their is a slightly sharp sensation at the back of one's palate. I prefer the taste of Diet Coke, and this is what I encourage my friends to buy."

vs.

"Pepsi is complete crap, clearly made by drunkards and con men. Anyone who would pay 75 cents for a can of it would have to be a fool. And anyone who would try to sell the crap on ebay is either a thief or is trying to unload a vile elixer that no one in their right mind would want."

First example: Ok
Second: Not Ok.

A related issue is treatment of the less well-informed or experienced visitors. "Newbies" and others. I am absolutely committed to the Chiff & Fipple forums being welcoming to newcomers. This stands in opposition to the Internet tradition of ignoring or roughing-up newbies. Accordingly, we ask people to be nice to newbies, to suffer their questions with patience. It is perfectly ok to ask newbies to use the forum's SEARCH features to find answers to common questions, but please remember that newcomers may need to have the search functions called to their attention and may need some help in using them.

As moderators, we reserve the right to edit and delete posts and to ban those who don't respect these simple rules.

Thanks!