Move complete - please report problems here

Board policies and official announcements about Chiff and Fipple and the forums. Please read!
rich
i see what you did there
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Move complete - please report problems here

Post by rich »

Well, that was easy. (Too easy?) We're now at our new home at Dreamhost. I'm already seeing the hits coming in, so it looks like people are making their way over here fine. As always, if you notice anything amiss, please let me know here.

Thanks,
--Rich
Last edited by rich on Fri Dec 31, 2004 1:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rich
i see what you did there

Post by rich »

Ok, it was too easy. :-)

I've found one problem that I could only fix the hard way: for as long as I can remember, we've apparently been running with the board set to the wrong timezone; it was counting on the system time being in GMT, but the system time was in Eastern time (GMT-0400).

On top of that, we just moved from Eastern time to Pacific time (GMT-0700), making things even more confusing.

I've fixed things so that timezones will be correct going forward for everyone (provided you have chosen your own correct timezone in your <a href="http://chiffboard.mati.ca/profile.php?m ... Profile</a>), but there might be a bit of weirdness as things overlap. Specifically, I suspect that the "new posts since you came here last" feature might be off by a few hours until you catch up on posts. You may wish to use the "Mark this forum read" feature to reset it for you for each forum.
NicoMoreno
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

What's up with the Webchat?
rich
i see what you did there

Post by rich »

NicoMoreno wrote:What's up with the Webchat?
Uh, ok, I'll bite -- what <i>is</i> up with the webchat? It seems to work fine for me, although there's no-one there right now.
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Haven't been in it yet, but was just coming to this thread to say the main page currently says:

There are [n/a] users currently chatting
An bhfuil aon dearmad i mo Ghaeilge? Abair mé, le do thoil!
rich
i see what you did there

Post by rich »

avanutria wrote:Haven't been in it yet, but was just coming to this thread to say the main page currently says:

Yep, "not available". The forums can't see the IRC channel, because Dreamhost doesn't allow IRC. I'll think of a different way to do that later.
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

OK. No rush; we're usually not chatting about anything applicable anyway.
An bhfuil aon dearmad i mo Ghaeilge? Abair mé, le do thoil!
rich
i see what you did there

Post by rich »

avanutria wrote:OK. No rush; we're usually not chatting about anything applicable anyway.
Oops, wait -- the chat still works! The only thing that doesn't work is the counter of the number of people there, which hasn't worked very well for a while (except that it used to show "0" instead of "n/a".
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

I've been having a lot of connect problems to the message board since the move. I usually get through after a couple of re-loads of the page/topic. No similar problems with the other websites I am visiting. Nothing too obnoxious yet.

Kevin Krell
International Traditional Music Society, Inc.
A non-profit 501c3 charity/educational public benefit corporation
Wooden Flute Obsession CDs (3 volumes, 6 discs, 7 hours, 120 players/tracks)
https://www.worldtrad.org
moxy

Post by moxy »

I'm getting email notifications of new posts in some threads, although I've clicked "Stop watching this thread". Now when I get the emails, I go back to click "Stop watching this thread", but it's not there...

So I'm still getting emails and shouldn't be...
rich
i see what you did there

Post by rich »

moxy wrote:I'm getting email notifications of new posts in some threads, although I've clicked "Stop watching this thread". Now when I get the emails, I go back to click "Stop watching this thread", but it's not there...

So I'm still getting emails and shouldn't be...
Can you point to a thread that's misbehaving in that way? The same data is used to display the "Stop watching" link that is used to decide when to send email, so I can't look for things that don't match.

Is the delay between stopping watching and getting email a couple of minutes, or a couple of hours?
NicoMoreno
Tell us something.: I just wanted to update my location... 100 characters is a lot and I don't really want to type so much just to edit my profile...

Post by NicoMoreno »

The layout of the webchat has changed, and the commands menu is no longer available.
rich
i see what you did there

Post by rich »

NicoMoreno wrote:The layout of the webchat has changed, and the commands menu is no longer available.
Yes, it's a (considerably) newer version, so the layout has changed -- we went from one released in 2000 to the latest. The previous one had a few security problems that had to be resolved.

I've verified that the command menu doesn't work in Internet Explorer 5 -- it looks like the program's author gave up trying to get the necessary javascript to work in that browser. If that's not the browser you're using, please let me know.

It's just IRC behind that web interface, though -- you might find it easier to get an IRC client and connect directly. Server info is on the <a href="/chat/">chat page</a>. If not, the web-based client accepts normal IRC <a href="http://www.irchelp.org/irchelp/new2irc. ... ommands</a> as well.
rich
i see what you did there

Post by rich »

rich wrote:
avanutria wrote:Haven't been in it yet, but was just coming to this thread to say the main page currently says:

Yep, "not available". The forums can't see the IRC channel, because Dreamhost doesn't allow IRC. I'll think of a different way to do that later.
This should be fixed now.
NicoMoreno

Post by NicoMoreno »

I guess it wasn't really a "problem", more of a "comment". Thanks!