Server moving this week

Board policies and official announcements about Chiff and Fipple and the forums. Please read!
rich
i see what you did there
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by rich »

I'm going to be moving the board from its current location to a machine I actually own sometime later this week. Since both machines will be running simultaneously (unlike the previous move), I believe I can do it without any forum downtime at all.

Things may appear to be running a little slowly while both servers are still up, but that should go away when the current one is retired.

There *may* be brief (few seconds) outages while I restart services, so if something seems amiss, try relodaing first. There may also be longer outages from things I failed to foresee; if you're unable to access the board, please send me mail at <a href="mailto:webmaster@mati.ca">webmaster@mati.ca</a>.

Cheers,

<ul>--Rich, yer webmonkey</ul>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rich on 2002-01-10 02:03 ]</font>
rich
i see what you did there
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by rich »

<a name="move">We've moved!</a>

As the new address finds its way into nameservers around the globe, you'll eventually find yourself on the new server. Both are running from the same database right now, but since the database is on "rinzai", the new machine, reading and posting from the old machine, "mankind", will seem a little slower than usual.

You can tell which server you've landed on by looking in the top right-hand corner of the page -- it's really just there for my own troubleshooting, but I may as well explain what it's for. :smile: There's no way to manually choose which server you end up at, but you'll eventually end up on rinzai.

Looking at performance statistics from before the move (when both the database and webserver were on mankind) and now (database and webserver on rinzai), it looks like the new server's about ten times as fast, which brings us back up to the performance we had when the board first started, hosted at Concordia University in Montreal.

As always, please let me know either in the support forum or <a href="webmaster@mati.ca">by mail</a> if you encounter any problems, or if you're stunned by the speed increase. :smile:

Now that the move is complete, I'll be spending time taking some rough edges off of chat. Which reminds me -- if you ever think of something that you feel would be useful for the community, let me know. I can't promise I'll have the time or ability to do it, but where feasible we'll see what we can do.

Cheers,

<ul>-Rich</ul>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: rich on 2002-01-10 01:52 ]</font>