Changing your email address

Board policies and official announcements about Chiff and Fipple and the forums. Please read!
rich
i see what you did there
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Changing your email address

Post by rich »

I'm now getting mail 3-4 times a week on this, so I figured I should make a post about it:

Please keep in mind that the forum software requires a <b>deliverable email address</b> to work; specifically, whenever you change anything that could help someone hijack your account (your password, or your email address, because password reminders go to the email address), you will be automatically mailed a confirmation message. <b>Until you reply to the confirmation message your account is deactivated.</b>

This means that if you put a <b>spamblocker</b> in your email address, your account will be deactivated and you won't receive the email message that reactivates it. I can fix this situation, but I'd rather avoid it in the first place!

If you want to make sure that spammers cannot get your address via the forums, I recommend configuring your account to not display it, and to send email notification of private messages. That way, other users will be able to contact you via private message, and you will still find out that they did in your inbox.

Cheers,
--Rich