Ben Hospitalized

Board policies and official announcements about Chiff and Fipple and the forums. Please read!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Ben Hospitalized

Post by Nanohedron »

Ben notified me around late afternoon, his time, that he has been taken to the hospital - but as of now I don't know any more than that. He did say there were "tubes and wires everywhere". Let's hope he'll recover soon, and please keep him and his family in your thoughts.

As his ability to stay in touch dictates, I'll keep you updated.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Re: Ben Hospitalized

Post by Nanohedron »

He's already back home and recuperating, thankfully. Long and short is it seems there was some physical episode that the brain took as a signal to shut down much of the nervous system, but what caused it isn't clear, and they checked everything they could possibly check and then some. One supposes the proper technical term would be a "glitch".

Anyway, he's not 100% yet, and is on alert lest the issue should reassert itself. But fingers crossed, and here's hoping Ben'll bounce back to continue his glorious reign of moderatorial despotism and tyranny for many years to come.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

Wow!
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

And Ben must regale us with the details of his harrowing encounter with the unknown and unexpected. We could use a good story.
awildman

Post by awildman »

Best wishes to Ben and his family
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Hello everybody. I'm back. I was decidedly not well on Friday (well, I collapsed, with very low blood pressure followed not too long after by very high blood pressure), and have been tired since then. But I seem to be OK for now, and the consultant who saw me at the end of Friday night said that she couldn't see a reason for this episode to recur.

So I ... no, we won't tempt fate! :)
An Draighean
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by An Draighean »

Glad to hear that you did not have to go on the cart!

Hope you are completely well soon.
Deartháir don phaidir an port.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.

Post by benhall.1 »

An Draighean wrote:Glad to hear that you did not have to go on the cart!
Not yet, anyway, although I was on some very hi-tech trolleys/beds. I gather they're somewhere approaching $20k apiece. I also had wires and tubes all over the place, and loads and loads of tests. Everything really serious was apparently ruled out.
An Draighean wrote:Hope you are completely well soon.
Thank you for your kind thoughts. It's appreciated.
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

Good to hear you are better! Hopefully it was a fluke.
PB+J
Tell us something.: I'm a historian and the author of "The Beat Cop:Chicago's Chief O'Neill and the Creation of Irish Music," published by the University of Chicago in 2022. I live in Arlington VA and play the flute sincerely but not well

Post by PB+J »

Scary. Glad you're ok
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Thanks everyone - awildman, busterbill An Draighean, PB+J and, of course, Nanohedron. If I've missed anybody, please accept my apologies.

And yes, it was scary, and I certainly hope it was a fluke! It's a strange feeling when you suddenly don't have control over your own body. I'm not used to that.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

What Ben hasn't said outright was that fluke or no, his situation was indeed life-threatening, and were it not for quick response and good care, we might have lost him.
busterbill

Post by busterbill »

Nanohedron wrote:What Ben hasn't said outright was that fluke or no, his situation was indeed life-threatening, and were it not for quick response and good care, we might have lost him.
Nanohedron wrote:What Ben hasn't said outright was that fluke or no, his situation was indeed life-threatening, and were it not for quick response and good care, we might have lost him.
Yup. 100% agreed.
Dan A.
Tell us something.: I can only hope that my proficiency with the whistle is steadily improving. A few of my whistles get a workout on an almost daily basis. And I'm almost certainly afflicted with WhOAD.

Post by Dan A. »

I found myself in the hospital this past November. They're excellent places to stay out of. Glad Ben's stay was brief. May he make a fast and full recovery...just take it easy till then!
benhall.1

Post by benhall.1 »

Dan A. wrote:I found myself in the hospital this past November. They're excellent places to stay out of. Glad Ben's stay was brief. May he make a fast and full recovery...just take it easy till then!
Amen, to the part that I've highlighted.

And thanks for your kind wishes. I am trying to take it easy, but, frankly, it's hard at the moment.