Welcome to our new look!

Board policies and official announcements about Chiff and Fipple and the forums. Please read!
rich
i see what you did there
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Welcome to our new look!

Post by rich »

As you may have noticed from your surroundings, this weekend's upgrade was a success. We're now running the latest version, 2.0.4, of <a href="http://www.phpbb.com">PhpBB</a>.

Pretty much everything should work like you are accustomed. There are undoubtedly some changes to the way things work and some new features. Since I'm getting used to the new software too, please check back to this post regularly for tips on navigating the new environment.

Unlike the previous version, this package is very well documented:<blockquote> <a href="http://www.phpbb.com/guide/phpBB_Users_ ... "><b>PhpBB 2 User's Guide</b></a></blockquote>
Enjoy the new software! I expect some bugs to crop up over the next few days, which are unfortuantely very busy days for me at work during the day. Nonetheless, if you find anything unusual, please <a href="webmaster@mati.ca">send me email</a>.

Cheers,<ul>-Rich</ul>

<b>New features in this version:</b>
<ul>
<li>You can now <b>preview your post</b> before posting. I recommend you do this instead of posting and then editing to make sure everything looks the way you desire.
<li>The posting screen provides <b>BBCode buttons</b> to help you format your post without memorizing a bunch of BBCode tags.
<li>You can post topics with <b>polls</b> in them. Please don't overuse this!
<li>In your profile, you can upload a small (maximum 100x100, 20KB) image to use as an <b>avatar</b> which will appear with your name on your posts. Avatars must be tasteful.
</ul>

<b>Important changes from previous versions:</b>
<ul>
<li>There are reasonable <b>limits on how many private messages</b> you may keep: 50 in INBOX, 50 in Saved, 25 in Sent. Most users will never hit them, but if you do, you know why! Copy some messages to your computer and then delete them on the private messages panel to free up some room.
<li>There is a <b>one-hour window</b> in which you can edit your post after you've posted it. After that window expires, the post is set in stone; you can no longer edit a post after a thread has developed from it, for instance. (This might not be working yet.)
<li>Posts can be posted -- by moderators only -- as <b>sticky posts</b> which stay on the front page. If you think a post should be made sticky, please drop a moderator a line via email.
<li>The forum software now keeps track of what posts you've read on a per-user basis instead of per-browser. While this means you won't have to remember what you read at work when you get home, it also means that you <b>must be logged in to see which posts are unread</b>.
</li>