Search function - a heads up

Board policies and official announcements about Chiff and Fipple and the forums. Please read!
Peter Duggan
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm not registering, I'm trying to edit my profile! The field “Tell us something.” is too short, a minimum of 100 characters is required.

Re: Search function - a heads up

Post by Peter Duggan »

benhall.1 wrote:Basically, the only thing that matters is if people use the 'Search' function. 'View' doesn't work in the same way
If that's the case (as I'd suspected in describing it as 'technically search but presumably not impacting Ben's indexing in the same way'), then I'm OK even if appearing to Nano as searching?
and Google searches matter not one jot.
It was Google indexing links on the search function here I was thinking of, not its own independent search capability. Though (like s1m0n) I'd also considered the implausibility of it searching for specific text!
And we in dreams behold the Hebrides.

Master of nine?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Looks like Ben has clarified it for us. :)
Peter Duggan wrote:Oh, I'd expect that from experience of running other forums, but assume it still requires you to 'catch them in the act' real-time, whereas your previous comment had conjured up the more unlikely vision of an itemised log along the lines of 'Peter Duggan searched for **** at ****'!
No, it's as you say: The view is in real time, not a log. It's why I wrote in present tense, not past, but I can see how this might escape the reader. :)
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Peter Duggan wrote:
benhall.1 wrote:Basically, the only thing that matters is if people use the 'Search' function. 'View' doesn't work in the same way
If that's the case (as I'd suspected in describing it as 'technically search but presumably not impacting Ben's indexing in the same way'), then I'm OK even if appearing to Nano as searching?
Yep. View away, with nary a care. :)

- Ben tells us that someone has been running searches anyway. Please stop it.

After this is over, I'm going to see if being logged in makes a difference in how a search would affect Ben's efforts. My first guess would be that it shouldn't make any difference at all, but maybe it does from Ben's end.

- We're not even going to entertain the idea that compromising Ben's valuable time is a viable option, so these wanton disruptions force us to disable the search function until Ben's done with the job. Unfortunately, the View functions are also temporarily disabled as a result, and there's no helping it. Please be patient.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Tribal musician
awildman

Post by awildman »

If it helps reduce stress, just disable things that need it upfront. Don't worry about our inconvenience. It's just a forum; we'll get over it. Shut down the forum for a couple days if that makes things manageable. I appreciate all the hard work being done, and if it means I'm put out for a couple of days, it's no biggie. I might be forced to play a few tunes instead. :o
Tor

Post by Tor »

I never use the search function in the forum (or any other forum). I just specify
site:forums.chiffandfipple.com what-I'm-searching-for
in the search box of google or one of the other search tools where that syntax is supported.
benhall.1
Tell us something.: I'm a fiddler and, latterly, a fluter. I love the flute. I wish I'd always played it. I love the whistle as well. I'm blessed in having really lovely instruments for all of my musical interests.
Location: Unimportant island off the great mainland of Europe

Post by benhall.1 »

Tor wrote:I never use the search function in the forum (or any other forum). I just specify
site:forums.chiffandfipple.com what-I'm-searching-for
in the search box of google or one of the other search tools where that syntax is supported.
I know. That's a good method. Most people, for whatever reason, and including me, can't remember that, though, and I'd like to provide the Search function here.

I really ought to use Google site searches more ...